1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2009 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peterbright, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Heh... I bought my '91 Honda Civic for $1500.

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    And for many, SUVs are an ostentatious prestige item which they rarely or never use for its additional capabilities (as opposed to the Prius). We can thank "Hollyweird" for that fad, too--remember when the now-governor of California kicked off the Hummer craze? The difference is that, on average, one saves on fuel while the other slurps it up.

3. I think you might be giving Arnold Schwarzenegger a wee bit too much credit (or blame) for a vehicle's perceived popularity (how many H-1's have you actually seen on the road?).

That vehicle was an instant media darling during our techno-orgasm of the 1991 Gulf War. Following all the free advertising, the truck then went on to dominate off road racing and got some very impressive write ups in the auto magazines.

Mike

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hehe, the anti-Prius crowd are like the anti-gun crowd in the "Show your gun" threads. Really annoying. :)

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I don't think the Gubenator kicked off the Hummer craze. You can thank Gulf War I for that......

I guess I'd feel guilty about owning my SUV if I didn't use it's additional capabilities so frequently.....

;)

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah.

BTW, you've done a pretty good job staying out of the gun threads, recently.....

:bag:

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Still stalking me eh?

Life needed in aisle 4. ;)

8. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hardly, but you do a masterful job of making your presence known and felt. Like a rash. You're hard to avoid, despite my best attempts.

;)

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Most of us don't have problems avoiding rashes. Bathing regularly is your friend. No need to thank me for advice. Just happy to let you know how most of us live, rash free. :D

10. Now Mark, I've never really been an "anti-" car guy. It's an object that has done me no harm. It does not inspire me to hate it or its owners. Mathmatically, it makes no sense for me to buy one. If it did, or it had a combination of features I found I could not live without, I might consider it.

Mike

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You mean like taking your kids to hockey practice?

I kid, I kid...

12. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Of course not, I don't have any hockey-aged kids. I mean like rolling over Prius' and carrying around my over-inflated sense of self worth. ;)

13. I believe in the right to drive any darn thing I want as long as I an willing to pay the gas bill. I'll also accelerate hard if I feel like it, because it's FUN.

And we have a 1999 blazer that gets decent gas mileage and has traveled over 130,000 miles as a family car. It holds all four of us plus cargo, serves as reliable transportation for ski trips and softball tournaments, hauls anything we can cram inside it (including all my bass gear and cabs) and does it darn well.

Those who don't think this mid-size class of SUVs makes sense are badly mistaken.

And the things people haven't really discussed about hybrids are:

1) What happens in 10 years when that huge battery pack dies and you want to drive the car another 50,000 miles? It's going to cost you more than the car is worth to replace that battery.

2) What's it going to cost to recycle that battery when it dies? Those are BIG batteries, and they're full of heavy metal. If we really get into producing those things we're going to have a huge disposal problem.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Right... Could you possibly be less condescending?:eyebrow:

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If was gasoline was non-polluting and inifinte supply, I'd agree. Unfortunately gasoline is polluting and is in limited supply.
    What happens on any car when it's 10 years old and you have to replace the transmission or engine or other component?
    Recycling NiMH batteries and Li-Ion batteries (and lead-acide batteries from current cars and boating equipment) is relatively easy. Cars of all types are a model of recycling and reuse.

16. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Sure I could, but where's the fun in that? I'm guessing that if I had made some anti-suv crack, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

17. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    That's why I have a pickup truck. :D

18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not only could you, you did! :rolleyes:

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Station wagon works fine. :)

20. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Wife loves the new car & it looks like she will get one as well. Her car needs a oil change next week.