2013 & 2014 Gibson EB Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chamber, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Chamber

Chamber

Jul 9, 2011
    California
    Seeing some love for these basses recently. Curious to see how many TB'ers own these fine basses!

H90734000001000-03-2000x2000.jpg

(post pictures pls)

2. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I've tried to snag one a couple of times but no luck. Really great sounding basses. Someday maybe.

3. I feel like the "THAT'S NOT AN EB" in my head holds me back from giving it a fair shot

(tho it is indeed an Electric Bass)

Chamber likes this.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

4 string 2013 here. The only thing I didn't like was the tort pick guard. It has a black one now.

kbakerde likes this.
  5. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    [Edit] (The intonation problem I reported below turned out to be a false alarm. Checked intonation again and discovered that the apparent intonation problem symptoms were a consequence of having installed ultra-light-gauge strings. Fretting on the highest two or three frets, the pitch of the plucked string goes sharp but eventually settles to the correct pitch. Back to heavier-gauge strings.)

I was just this minute thinking about my 2014 sunburst EB bass before I saw this thread---specifically, about the fact that, alone among the basses I've owned, intonating it so that the notes above the 12th fret sound in tune seems impossible.

The range of sounds the bass is capable of is amazing, and I love its surprisingly light weight, etc. But the fret slots on this one appear to have been cut by an employee who, for whatever reason, more or less guessed at where they should be located. They're close, and I rarely play up there, but still.

I'm the original owner of the bass, so Gibson's lifetime warranty should apply here, I think. The question is, would misplaced frets be covered under warranty? I'll check with the local authorized Gibson repair center. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    I would think that would definitely be covered, but since they don't make the bass anymore I think you would be hard pressed to get any resolution aside from having a new fretboard installed by an out of network luthier.

Guitalia likes this.
  7. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I have always had a warm place in my heart for those basses, ans have never stopped gassing for a five string version. The money and opportunity have never lined up, however. Still on my list!

8. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the reality check, but it turned out that I was mistaken about the intonation. Here's what I added to my original post:

The intonation problem I reported below turned out to be a false alarm. Checked intonation again and discovered that the apparent intonation problem symptoms were a consequence of having installed ultra-light-gauge strings. Fretting on the highest two or three frets, the pitch of the plucked string goes sharp but eventually settles to the correct pitch. Back to heavier-gauge strings.

9. Siggy

Siggy

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    DSCF0044.JPG I bought this one new and played it for about a couple of years. Very nice bass, one of the better Gibsons I've owned. Unfortunately G.A.S. got the better of me and I sold it to fund another purchase. In hindsight I wish I kept it.

Mastermold, emal, aus_bass and 20 others like this.
  10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I had a white 4 string i bought from MF SDOTD.
    There was a lot i liked about it,(light weight,great feeling neck and body,excellent hardware,Babicz bridge), and a few things i really didn’t. (The see through milky finish, and the ultra hot pickups.)
    Traded it in for a ‘57 AVRI Precision.
    I love that sunburst finish pictured above.
    I’d like to see/hear one of these with chrome T-bird pickups.
    DE863198-5E3C-4DBD-B76B-2A2C88308F8C.jpeg

11. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    I regret not jumping on one of these when they were easy to find. Cool basses for sure.

12. This is the 2013 EB5 that I used to own

EB5.jpg

Great sound. but too wide of a neck for my aging hands. Very nice instrument, all in all.

Mastermold, emal, bassbrad and 3 others like this.
  13. tommyr01

tommyr01 SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I had a 2014 red 5 string.....I still kick myself for selling it !!!!!!!!

14. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Always liked the body shape on these--cool looking basses. Never encountered one in person. You mention the ultra-hot pickups--when I look at those I think "MFD"! Always wondered if they were similarly high output, or if they just look like G&L's beasts...

Mastermold and woodyng2 like this.
  15. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I haven’t had any experience with GL MFD pickups, but from what i’ve read, the Gibson ones maybe are similar. They tended to OD the amp...and didn’t have the clearest treble, which is a must for me.
    Even with the standard coil taps,I didn’t like the pickup sound.

16. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I fully expect to have one at some point.

17. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    0310211625c.jpg

I've had mine for a while. I would be lying if I said it's my favorite bass, but I still keep it in rotation when I gig. I swapped the guard on mine for a cream 3 ply and dumped the tone knob for a V/V set up in the process. I went with the gold knobs as a nod to the Gold Top Les Paul. The pickups have 4 leads, so one of these days I'm going to get around to adding a series/parallel switch for each pick up... and maybe one for the combo as well in case I want to switch the whole thing to series and get rid of a set of speakers.

Mastermold, emal, Goatrope and 8 others like this.
  18. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't have a better picture at the moment, but the 5 string has Thunderbuckers in it. Much more satisfying than the stock electronics. IMG_20200104_162713.jpg

19. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I tried one in a shop. It sounded really good, but I had more than enough basses at the time.

20. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've always loved the look of these, and the overall concept.
    To me it feels like some funky old pawn shop trophy from the 1960s that someone hot rodded with a good bridge & tuners. And it's a wide 5-string!!
    When this specimen came up on Reverb without a case for a ridiculously low sum, I had no choice in the matter.
    eb-5-1.jpg
    I think of this as my "old-school" 5-string. Some folks might not even realize I'm rocking a 5'er - especially if they only look at the top row of tuners!
    Sonically speaking, this bass has a certain something about it. Sometimes it actually wins out over the P or the J! (Maybe I just want to look cool - or feel that satin nitro under my forearm.)