1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210 vs. 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex1984, May 5, 2010.

1. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Question, would you guys rather have a 210 + tweeter or a 115?

Asking as I've been offered a trade between a Mesa Diesel 210 (EV speakers) and a EV B-115. Between these, which would you guys prefer?

I'm a huge EV fan for both PA and bass cabs. I love their 10" speakers but I also heard that the Mesa 15" cabs with old EVs are among the best cabs out there, so the EV cab looks promising too.

In terms of value, I feel the Mesa's probably worth more, but I want to let my ears be the judge, not $. Gonna play through them both of course, but wanted to gather some opinions first. Tweeters don't matter much to me as I feel they tend to sound a little harsh, and I seem like oldschool bass tones more.

2. I'd go for a 1x15" over 2x10'' s anyday, but thats ME!!! I've made plenty of 2x10cabs fart out but rarely(ever????) a good EV 1x15".

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    A single top quality 15" cab will eat a modern 2 x 10 cab.
    You might like to add a further one or to be safe a pair of tens for a real comparison.
    That is if its a "stranglers" type slightly tube dirty bright forward in the mid sound you are trying to make.
    This rig combination seems to match very very well:
    [​IMG]
    Four to one is the real world seat of the pants ratio, Speaker area calculations and theoretical displacement calculations aside, in my not inconsiderable experience.:bassist:

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's the key! If it's not a top quality 1x15, it'll fart out just as quickly as a 2x10. I still prefer a 2x10 over a 1x15 though. 1x15's w/out a mid or HF driver are way too muddy for my tastes!! Gotta be 2-way or 3-way.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's the key: use your ears and be your own judge. Keep in mind that what sounds great soloed may bite the big one in an ensemble setting.

Riis

6. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    personally I'd take 210 over 115 all things being equal.

7. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Depends.

8. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    a 210 has slightly less speaker surface area than a 115 but I like the overall sound of 210s better. The difference is not much. One can simplify them as being almost the same (in terms of speaker surface area only... and even in that, the 210 is a little smaller)

I'm looking to add a 410 to my GK MB210 for a 610 stack total.

10 inch speakers and 15 inch speakers just sound really really different. No one is necessarily better than the other. Very much a matter of preference. As you've already seen, there are some people that love 10s and some that love 15s (not too many that love 18s anymore these days tho)

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Depends on the cabinet.
    Depends on the speaker.
    Depends on your personal taste and preference.
    Depends on your EQ'ing.

10. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010

Get a 2-10 and a 1-15 and use them together!! Then you are covered. :bassist:

I have a Markbass 210 and 115, each with a tweeter, use them together, and it is a fine sound in a smaller, lighter, easy-to-tote package.

11. Even though I have and use an 810 and a 410, I find that if I want to get the sound I love, I use my 210 combo and a 115.

They seem to work really well together, covering for each other's capacities and filling in the other's blanks, but I turn the horns off on them both.

I can't speak for 'lightness' though. They are Gen-II Acoustics and they are heavy!

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    If I had to choose between an equal quality 210 or 115... I'd take the 115.

I have a Diesel 115 and it just kills.

13. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    All these comments and experiences have been spot on. It really depends on what venues and such you're playing, really depends on your EQ. I can speak, but not too much for the simple fact that my 15 has a 6 and a horn in it, so I get high's and lows... not as good as the 2x10 I used to have, but the lows are without comparison. I favor the 15 b/c of it, but there are too many factors for your particular situation that haven't necessarily been given in order to give a good suggestion.

14. IME, i have dug a 2x10 if it's a combo, and a 1x15 if it's a stand alone cab.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Ever since I got an Aguilar DB115, my DB210 has been collecting dust. The DB115 is more balanced and has better low-end extension.*

* This comparison is only between these two cabs, and is based solely on my subjective opinion and preferences. Even though others have had similar experiences when comparing 115 and 210 cabs, my findings only apply to my cabs and my ears. So, in other words...IMO, YMMV.

16. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Generally speaking...
    I prefer 2x10's when playing solo or accompanying acoustic players(quiet situations, basically).
    I prefer 1x15's when playing in rock type formats.
    IME, 2x10's have a more hi fi sound but get eaten up in a mix whereas 1x15's work their way thru a mix better. I used to run an Goliath Jr.III with a Son of Bertha. They really complimented themselves well when stacked. The Goliath just sounded so sweet and hi fi at home & at church; was a bit shy in the low mids and low lows. The SOB made up with it's much more present mids and lows. Each sounded great on their own as well.
    Can you tell I miss this rig? :D

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Depends on the brand. I had a SWR 2x10 that was gutless; My Epifani 2x10 *kills*. I've had a few 1x15" cabs and never really liked them.

18. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    It's a Mesa Diesel 210 (with EVs) vs a EV B-115.

Well, here's some more info:

My band plays alternative rock, and our guitarist is getting more and more into metal. With my teacher, I'm learning all sorts of things, jazz, ska, funk, reggae, motown, classic rock. Personally I like a more neutral and old school sound.

I've had a brief experience with a Eden D115-XLT. I liked the tight sound and it sounds very good, but I think it was a little too modern sounding for me.

I have absolutely no complaints about the Mesa/EV 10's, and I LOVE my EV B-410 and hope I'd never part with them. Just wanted to experience the great sound of the 15s that I've been reading about.

19. Everyone is talking about abstract intangibles. He named the Boogie 2x10 and EV 1x15 right off the bat. EV makes really good stuff but I would go for the Mesa out of those two simply because its likely worth more. I have seen guys use those as a standalone cab. The shelf port ones esp are pretty darn good. First 2x10 I ever saw that could be run stand alone.

20. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I think a lot of 210 vs 115 in tonal difference boils down to manufacturers creating product that meets the stereotypical view of the market.

One exception I found is the old Berg HT210 and HT115. With the 210 noticeable deeper (more scooped IMO, but it totally depends on your point of view) than the 115.

Other manufacturers adhere to the general expectation more or less.

BACK ON TOPIC
    "old school" bass tone = EV > Mesa
    IMHO