1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

23in High 20in Wide 16in DEEP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred Mott, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    This old cab is ported at the bottom, and was made for a 15in speaker. It looks like it was made from birch, no tweeter. I was just given this cab. The friend who gave me the cab played in are did play in a small club. The speaker is gone,and he hasn't a idea what was in there. He said the guy who used it had a Peavey head on it like around 200 watts are something. The cab is in good shape, but nothing to say who made it. It has insulation inside. What 15in speaker would you suggest for this size cab, at least 300 watts. I know guys I'am crazy, but I just can't see a good old cab being used. I think 300 watts would fit most rigs. The cab is cover with tolex and has metal black grill,sort of like whats on a Hartke. I will take some picture when I can. Anyway suggestions for a 15 if any

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Dependent on the size of the port, for that size cab I think an Eminence 3015 (non LF)...

Eminence Kappalite 3015 Neo 15" Driver

Or for a cheaper alternative, would be the Eminence C2515...

Eminence Basslite C2515 Neo 15" Bass Guitar Speaker

Carefully measure the port, and make sure you have the closest measurements to the internal volume and play around with WinISD (free for download). This is a perfect opportunity for you to learn how to use WinISD and get a better idea about cab design. You already have the cab and want to put something in it, so why not take a bit of time and do a little research into it? ;)

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    At about 2.8 cubic feet almost any fifteen will work. As for the 300 watts, watts mean nothing, it's not what defines how much power a driver can actually use. That's determined by driver displacement (Vd). And then there's the matter of the mids, which requires a separate midrange driver with fifteens if you want a lot of midrange presence. A good all around driver is the Eminence Legend CB 15. Other choices abound, but knowing if they're better for you requires knowing exactly what you're looking for.

4. Are those dimensions the internal dimensions? Would you be able to measure the port width, height, and depth? Check out WinISD if you want to get your hands a little dirty; Here's a link. LinearTeam

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just built a cabinet with just about those exact measurements with a CB15 like Bill mentioned . It seems to work real well . Eminence plans call for two 4" round ports 5.5" long . If you could do that with that cabinet it would be a well tuned cab .

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-497

6. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    INSIDE MEASUREMENTS 22in H 19in W 22in D. PORT MEASURES my slash button don't work buy its 19in long and 1 and 1half in wide.

7. Your measuring device seems to be broken! :D You stated that the outside depth is 16" but the inside depth is 22". :eek:

8. Are you saying that the port is a rectangle that runs the width of the cab?

9. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I think pictures would be the best idea.

10. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Iam sorry inside depth is 14, And yes the port runs the width of the bottom of the cab.Right now I have no way to take pictures. If that not a good port I could seal it up, and port it in the back if need be.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Need the depth of the port too to find the tuning, may end up blocking off a small portion of it if need be. The legend mentioned is a nice driver, pretty forgiving of various box sizes and tunings. The basslite is good and will save a few pounds but I think they're 4ohm. Keep an 8ohm driver in there and you can stack it with your combo when you want.

Neo is expensive now so I'd do some modeling/thinking if you're considering the 3015...may not be worth it if the box isn't a really good match for it. They're also pretty mid strong sounding, legend will be warmer, little more "classic" if that makes sense.

12. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    The port is the same depth as the cab 14in.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Which are the accurate INTERNAL measurements here? 22x19x14 is 3.39 cu.ft. gross. Then subract the space taken up by the port, driver, and whatever bracing might be in there.

14. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Could use it with my Jeff Berlin Markbass combo.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The port has to have an opening inside the cab or it's not a port. ie: it has to be shorter than the internal cab depth.

16. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Looks Good to me. There's about 3 quarter inch thick 2 half inches tall front to back on top and bottom and down the middle of back and middle of both sides

17. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Can you tell me what you mean by that please.

18. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    After looking the port in front is divided by the brace

19. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I have to go baby sit my grandson be back in a while.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This is getting confusing. That type of port looks like a shelf inside the box, doesn't run all the way to the back wall. Stick the tape measure in the front and hook it on the back edge of that shelf, read it where it comes out the front, that's the port depth. If it runs 19" across the front of the boxand there's a 3/4" brace in the middle then your port width is 18-1/4".