2x10 + 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 17, 2005.

1. 2x10 and later add 1x12

Do you think this combination will be good?
    with my Yamaha bbt 500 amp.

But I do not know which 1x12, do you have any suggestions?
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, what sound are you after? We can only point so far, the rest is up to your ears.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya, clue us into what you're after. also, i dunno if the yamaha you're talking about is a head or a combo. so tell us what 2x10 you're thinking about, the wattage of the head or combo at 8, 4, and 2 ohms (if it can do 2 ohms), if it can go to 2 ohms or just a minimum of 4, and what 1x12 you're considering. not too much to ask......... :p

as a general answer, lots of cats use the 2x10 and 1x12 combo in various guises and love it. i do that on occasion but my setup is atypical. i use a bag end D10B (a 2x10), which has a nice low end but is a tad upper mid shy. when i pair it with a bag end S12 (1x12) the 1x12 puts out a lot of high mid "bite", but has less low end. I have the 2x10 on it's side so the speakers are vertical (you should generally do this with a 2x10) and the 1x12 gets to sit on top. looks a little funny, but sounds great. :cool: Also i use a stereo poweramp when doing this as the 2x10 is 4 ohms and the 1x12 is 8 ohms. It also helps to be able to adjust the volume of each cab seperately (in my case) to get just the right mix.