1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 Sring or 6 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbwilson, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    I'm having this issue, I want to expend my range so of course im looking at a 5 string to solve this problem. But im doing a lot of chords and slap lines lately and i know id eventually want a 6 string. So would it be a good idea to buy a 6 string or would that be a bad idea? It kinda seems to me like i should learn on a 5 string and then work to a 6 string, but i thought id ask the TBers. So what do you guys think and with your oppinions give me a good beginners bass to look at.

2. FissioN

FissioN

Jan 17, 2009
    Sixers are amazing. I'm in love with my six-string, and it's the best way to extend your range higher and lower at the same time. At first it might be a little overwhelming, but you get very used to it after a while. As for the beginner six-string, go on http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com and you'll find a bass that'll fit your price range and get you what you want. Have fun. If you do end up getting a six string, check out the ERB forum, located here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520281

3. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    this is what i kind of expected to hear, and im liking it! any beginner basses that stick out in your mind as great values? I got to do alot of research because ill probably be buying online so everyones 2 cents helps.

4. eekmeg

eekmeg

Aug 15, 2008
    Texas
    I love playing 6's as opposed to 5's. I enjoy having the option of playing a chord with or without the C string. Chords on 4's & 5's can be muddy depending on the bass IMO. You can really clean up the overall sound of the chord by playing it on the higher strings of a 6. You will get used to the extra strings and neck space pretty quickly. I would go for an MTD Kingston Z6 or a Bongo 6 for a beginner 6. Good luck and enjoy the hunt and acquisition.

5. I don't like 6 strings myself. The low B is great but I don't like the way the C sounds/feels but you seem like you really want a 6 string so I say just go straight to the 6 unless you get a nice 5 string that you think you would still use even after you get a 6 string.

6. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    im wondering how much id use the B, anyone use EADGC on a 5 string. I've heard of this being a good way to get more range too. Also the more im looking at the 6 strings the more i think ill never afford one!

7. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Try both basses out. Go with the one that feels better in your hands. I play 5's and thought about going to a 6, but I prefer the feel of a 5 string better. Plus some of my friends/players say 6's help you cheat when learning fretboard. But, they said the same when I went to 5 string. So like I said earlier, go with the one that feels better in your hands.

8. A lot of people do EADGC on 5ers, and there are several inexpensive 6er's out there - Ibanez makes a GSR 6 string, and I think Brice & SX do too

9. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    I have never seen a 6 string in any of my music stores though. so im kind of trying to get a feel for what i think would be the best option.

10. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    Ok ill check them out. Will anything have to be ajusted if i did use EADGC?

11. My main bass is in EADGC, and the only thing I had to adjust was the nut (a new one) but sometimes you can even get away with the previous nut.

I do however recommend having your bass setup again afterwards if you decide to go that route.

12. The only problem with 6ers is that the cheap ones get a little difficult to play. I've played various affordable lines and found the low B really didn't sound that great. The bass really needs to be balanced or it will kill your fretting hand. If the action is high, the bass will be a chore to play. Most importantly, you'll need a relatively thin neck profile and not all companies have the reinforcement abilities to make their necks thin and stable.

13. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    thats why im thinkin more towards a 5 string and make it EADGC, because i can get a 5 string cheaper but also good quality there a warwick 5er for 350 on CL i think is reasonable. I'd just hate to spend even 180 on a brice and have it turn out to sit in its case cause i dont like it.

14. S6X

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There was a Peavey Cirrus 6 at the Nashua Guitar Center a while back, but I don't know if it's still there. Give 'em a call and see if they have any sixers in stock. My wife has family up in NH, and we go to Concord and Warner every summer.

16. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    those did look appealing, I'll probably call them tomorrow and at least try and play it and get the feel.

17. The Cirrus line is pretty darn good, although I've never played a 6 or seen one in person. I own several 4s and 5s, but no 6ers at this point. That one would probably be a decent choice since they play pretty amazing. I've had pretty good experiences with the US line and mixed experiences with the import line.

18. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    You can get a 5 string, string it EADGC, then tune it down to DGCFBb.

With that, you get almost the full range of a 6 with 5 strings.

And you won't have to worry about that B string complicating your lifestyle. I don't object to having more than 4 strings, but I have personally never found a comfort zone with a B string.

Plus, the pingy tone issues with the high C string are reduced or go away when it is detuned a whole step. This is especially helpful if you have a 35" scale bass.

And if someone calls a tune in a "horn" key (F, Bb, Db, etc.) you are truly ready to go.

19. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    The choice is really up to you. You should start with the most comfortable bass for you. For a beginner 5-string I would suggest a Squier, Ibanez, or a Mexican Fender Jazz. For a beginner 6-string I would suggest Ibanez hands down.

20. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I know that if you have a 6-string, you also have a 5-string built right in. And yet sometimes I find the 5-string easier to use when no chords, solos, unisons with the guitar or keyboard (usually up the neck a ways) or other necessary C string use is involved. But if the trade is between a 6-string that might be a bit clumsier, and a 5-string that just plain cannot do what I need much of the time, then it's a no-brainer.

It's a matter of having something you don't need, or needing something you don't have.

For an affordable, comfortable decent-sounding 6-string, this is my choice.