1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-string bass with high C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OnlyJerry, May 11, 2011.

1. OnlyJerry

OnlyJerry

Mar 28, 2011
    Bryne, Norway
    Hello fellow TBers,

I was just wondering if there are 5-string basses that comes with the high C string instead of the low B? Everywhere I look in online stores etc. there's only 5-stringers with low B added.

If I were to buy a 5-stringer one day, should I try and find one with high C(probably more expensive) or would it work out fine if i bought a normal 5-stringer and stringed/tuned it EADGC?

2. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    Why? It's a bass, not a treble.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    You can restring a 5'er EADGC. My G&L L1505 is set up that way.

4. I bought a new set of bass strings EADG and then found an ebay seller who sold indiviual C strings.
    I also used a heavy guage of strings, that way I didn't have to replace the nut.

5. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    with a little intonation the high c string will work fine. when i had a 5er thats the only way i would string it since my band played in drop B. having the higher string gave for some fun fills and what have you.

6. I don't think you'll find many (any?) 5 strings with a stock high C. It's not that hard to change. You'll just need a new nut and change new setup.

7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    You don't usually need a new nut either.

8. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Especially if the bass has a zero fret. I go back and forth on my MTD all the time and even with lights you just need minor setup changes.

9. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i had the idea of string my 5 with a high C....until i can to this realization lol.....now im diggin the low B!!!!

10. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    This is why you need more than one 5'er.

11. Or a 6 string.

12. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Or both.;)

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, and when Coltrane was playing his tenor sax, he never should have played out of "tenor" and taken those brilliant upper-register solos. Great thinking there....:D

14. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Here's my E - C five string, a Wishbass in mostly purpleheart. It came strung the normal way, but at 31" scale in fanned frets, the low B was (duh), pretty dead. I rebuilt/refinished the bass, replaced the nut and bridge and it plays great now! Put D'Addario half-wounds on it too. I bought the C string separately from the other 4, all from 'Just Strings'.

Hipper1041Oct26002.
    Hipper1041Oct004.

15. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I was in a French restaurant in Seattle last year with the better half and A Love Supreme was playing. All of a sudden it was turned off and smooth Jazz put on, when I asked why they changed it they said they had too many complaints on the music.:mad:

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    +1
    Just buy a 6 string set in what ever flavor you like and toss the low B. You'll be fine. If the nut is too wide for the C string you can use a piece of paper to fill it in. That way, if you decide to go back you wont have to change anything. Also It's probably cheaper to buy a standard 6 string set than to buy a 4 string plus the high C. IMHO

17. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I bought a 6-string set of strings and switch back and forth between BEADG and EADGC depending on the gig. No truss rod or nut adjustment is necessary on my bass. It's a fretless; if the bass had frets, I would definitely check the intonation each time I switch. Other than that it's no big deal.

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com

Toss a B? The B is usually $9+

Toss em' my way please!

It shouldn't cost more than a High-C to add a High-C to a 4 string set. Not sure why you think it costs more than a 6 string set?

19. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    My old 5 string fender jazz was tuned EADGC.....The low B was just too flubby. I never had to truss rod because of the change or renut it but you will need to monitor the intonation. That high C comes in handy for chordal playing and soloing

20. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    why not? It's a bass, not a contra-bass.

but seriously, when I first started playing a 5, I thought that going with the high C would be the way to go, for soloing and chording in jazz contexts, etc.

After becoming dissatisfied with that - felt like the string (feel and sound) was too "thin" or something - I went back to using the low B. Despite the fact that I very seldom used a B, C or C#, I did get quite a bit of great use out of the D D# and fretted E, and, as many will tell you, it's quite useful to be able to play so many patterns in the same position. And hitting those sub-E notes added some nice depth to the overall band sound.
    (BTW, I was using a Lakland 5502 - highly recommended)

And then, after experiencing all that, I went back to playing strictly 4s.

If/when I migrate back to a 5er, I'll go with the low B.