1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-string bass with high C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OnlyJerry, May 11, 2011.

1. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Yeah, first 5-string bass with a high C wasn't made 'til 1965.

2. Depends on how tightly cut the nut was in the first place and/or preferences. I once switched a low E to the low B slot and there was just enough rattle to annoy me. I just did it to test that out once.

True dat.

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Example. Cost of a 4 string set of DR highbeams is around $25 depending on where you buy them, cost of a DR C string around $4 bucks, plus shipping (not many local stores carry a single high C string) total cost around $35 bucks give or take a buck or 2. Plus tax if you buy local. Online a standard 6 string set will run you around the same (depending on where you buy) and most times you can get them with free shipping. At the worst it will be a wash and you'll still save by buying a 6 string set. Less hassle and or running around= $ savings IMHO:D

4. MrJack

MrJack

May 1, 2011
    Warwick sells a set of tenor strings under the Yellow Label brand. It's heavier gauge, so the nut is no problem.

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I never tried those strings before. How are they?

6. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  7. MrJack

MrJack

May 1, 2011
    Oh, they're fantastic. Like someone slapped the strings off a Wick 6'er and put 'em for sale. They're rounds but they have this strange matte-like feel to them, makes playing like butter.

8. i recently convert my 4str fretless to 5str fretless EADGC, the string spacing was pretty tight, around 15mm. but it works so good, because I play a lot of chording, fingering, and soloing with my fretless..
    I keep my fretted 5str strung BEADG, string spacing 19mm, mostly for slappin' n groovin' around..

9. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    49sfine - that is one wacky bass! How does it play?!

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Nino will build you one, if you wish. I love EADGC, but I also have a BEADG 55-01 and MTD Kingston MM passive. My favorite EADGC strings for fretless are light gauge "Ken Smith Slick Wounds." TI Flats are good, too.

stealth_valenti_017.

11. eneye

eneye

Oct 29, 2011
    SLO
    As noted above, of course it's possible.

I strung my Carvin 5 string fretless EADGC for a number of years. At that time I was gigging with a Warwick Fortress 5 with BEADG and then on certain songs I'd whip out the fretless with the higher EADGC range.

Jeff Mangone, one of the bass instructors at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh used to string both his fretted and fretless Fender American Jazz 5's that way and then he had a hipshot d-tuner on the E-string for extended low range.

Personally, I prefer the low B to a high C now. I'll just pick up a 6er if I want to go back to the world of high C.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Same here. I had my Carvin semihollow AC50 fretless strung EADGC for quite some time. It used nylon wrapped strings and finding a decent C string was a trip but I finally did.

I did it because I was doing blues and needed the range for solos and Blues Nazis would take a fit when I brought a 6er.

I didn't change the nut, though I probably would have had a new one cut if I had kept it strung this way forever, but I had no buzzes. Worked out great!

But like eneye after a while I no longer needed the upper range extension anymore and missed the low B (not the low notes but the ease of playing in any key) so I switched it back which is how it is now.

But I've got the strings so it's easy to switch back and forth any time I want to extend the range up rather than down if I'm not going to use a 6 for some reason.

13. Raptor0427

Raptor0427

Mar 27, 2011
    POCONOS
    GHs Boomers makes a 5 string set with a high C. My Washburn XS-5 was set up with a low B when I got it but I just used it for a thumb rest. If you like the spacing better on a fiver then setting up with a high C is the way to go. I used the C in solos and fills and my five string is a little faster then my 4 stringers.:bassist:

14. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    My Carvin, strung E-C, when I was in my Steve Swallow is god phase, circa 2004 or so. DSCN1918.

I have another Carvin fiver, strung E-C, circa 1988, not as pretty, used to play it at my gigs at the Grand Concourse in Pittsburgh

15. this thread need more pics
    IMG_0823. IMG_0793.

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1
    I sometimes string my Carvin semi-hollow acoustic E-C. Just get 6 string sets. I didn't bother with a new nut. That lets me switch back and forth. If I left it E-C forever, I'd probably have a new nut cut. I never had any buzzing or problems with the wider nut slots though.

E-C is just what you want for solos and chords. On the other hand the bass is currently B-G because I get lazy want want the convenience of playing it like a 5 string across the neck when I don't need the extended upper range (it's 24 frets anyway).

Hence the beauty of a 6 string set and not fooling with the nut.

17. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    The same reason that basses have more than 4 frets. :scowl:

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    My ACG is a 32" 5 string strung E-C. Its amazing! :)

img_5358.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I was in the "why go higher when you can go lower" camp until I got a 30" scale sixer. On that, the high strings sound great! But I still have my long-scales with the low B.

20. My god, sooo pretty!!!!