1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 STRING BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lelilopez, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Lelilopez

Lelilopez

Oct 10, 2013
    hi! im looking forward to buying a 5 string bass. I like the jazz bass sound. I play funk, jazz, fusion, rock, blues,etc. I have between 1500us$ and 2000us$ to spend. what brands should i check out? which would you recommend? please answer thank you!!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Carvin has a brand new Jazz bass that just came out.
    Also look at Mike Lull.

My choice would be Roscoe, though. You can get a Century Standard in your price range, and while they are not traditional classic 'Jazz basses', they will cover way more ground and will lean more to the fusion side of things. I've now sold most of my other 5 strings since I got my Roscoe.

mark beem likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    at your price range, a Spector euro and a music man stingray are good choices for rock music as well as metal music.

4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    At that price point, you've got several options. On the used market, check out Mike Lull, Fender American Deluxe, G&L among others. You can get a lot of bass for $2K!

fuzzychaos likes this.
  5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Check out the TB classifieds. That's where I got my 5 string jazz bass.

6. Definitely look for used ones. For $2k you can easily buy a pro-grade second hand instrument.

Musicman Stingray make a great 5. I own a Stingray 5 and a Fender Jazz V (deluxe) and love both of them.

7. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I'll second the stingray. It's a pretty versatile instrument. I'd also look at the Spector Euro, as suggested.