1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string fretless showcase: Habanero V

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beauchene Implements, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Hi LC, getting started on my third complete build, this will be for the fretless five mini-contest.

Fretless five, 34" scale, bolt-on. Here's the plan, it's based on my last build:

HabaneroVrhino.

I widened the body a tiny bit, increased the scale to 34" and added a headstock. Planning on a cocobolo top, mahogany body, ziricote fingerboard on maple neck. Gotta replace the relay in my table saw, I'll make final wood decisions once I get stuff resawn. Also planning to go with a Hipshot A bridge with graphtech piezos, Sperzel tuners, and a Delano humbucker in the neck spot.

Edit: Hope no one counted the lines and dots on my fingerboard layout...

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Very cool Adam looking forward to it

3. I love it already!

but i suggest you move the D pole from aligned with the A to between the E and A poles

4. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    man, one thread into this competition and I can already tell i'm in over my head! That looks so sweet, really nice lines. Can I ask a couple of q's? No neck angle? How thick is the body? How thick is the neck where it meets the body? How proud of the body is the neck in the pocket?

this is going to be awesome!

5. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I like this design. Subscribed!

6. Hi, and thanks! The design isn't final yet. I will determine the neck height once I have the bridge in my hands. I'm not a big fan of angled necks, I like the bass to be able to lay flat without the headstock hitting the floor...that's just me. I'm paranoid of broken-off headstocks.

@15000 Volts: heasdstock isn't final either, but I like the look of the headstock on Zon 5's, that's how they have them arranged.

7. Here's the top:

IMG_2492.

or more likely...

IMG_2495.

Scored this gorgeous 8' hunk of maple from Lowes, of all places. For 35 bucks. I have enough cocobolo to do a fingerboard, but IIRC ziricote has a lot higher Janka hardness, so it's probably more appropriate.

IMG_2496.

8. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Excellent choice. Ziricote works very well as a fretless fingerboard.

What's the string spacing at the bridge? Which Delano pickup were you planning to use?

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    love the name (of my new favorite peppers),... gl.

10. I do like Zirocote as a fingerboard, I used it on the second neck of my first build. Lignum Vitae seemed to not like the trussrod telling it what to do...

I'm planning to use a SBC 5 HE/S

11. So subscribed :smug: like your designs and wood choices

12. I think the headstock would look better with the rest of the bass if it were less symmetrical.

btw, those woods look drooling

13. I've been playing with some different shapes, I'll settle the design once I've got the tuners in hand.

Thanks, I'm excited to get cutting! I have a dead relay in my 80's Craftsman contractor saw though, don't know if I'll be able to find parts. I have gotta figure another way to split the top piece, won't quite fit in my Little Tykes bandsaw.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Some wicked wood you have for this.

15. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    the heat is on eh? ;) cool project!

16. beautiful wood, cool design! good luck with this!

17. pushifier

pushifier dB basses

Jan 8, 2009
    Netherlands
    Lovely woods you have got there!
    I have split a maple top with ...... hand saw :bag:
    It is hard work but doable, got some bicepts now;)

18. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    that design looks very promissing. good luck with your work!

19. I salute you, sir. Your saw-fu is greater than mine. I'm not even gonna try it with that cocobolo. :scowl::scowl::(

20. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hand resawn cocobolo? No thanks :D Nice looking wood barnaclebeau, I love cocobolo but ziricote is my favorite wood of all. I have a nice ziricote fingerboard I was thinking about using but maybe I will go with something else for the sake of diversity.;) Looks like the beginnings of a nice bass my friend.