1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

51P Build Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lawrenbd, May 18, 2011.

1. Alright, I ran into a slight issue with my first "real" build. I have a telecaster bass body with the squared off neck pocket, but I need a neck. The prices on the telecaster necks that I've seen have been pretty ridiculous and I don't really like the feel of the traditional neck.

Could anyone help me/explain the process to fit a contoured standard P bass neck on my telecaster body. Will it be very difficult?

Please any suggestions are really welcome at this point.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Check this out, probably cheaper than what you have been looking at, and these guys are reputable, just in case you didn't want to curve the neck pocket. these necks feel much more like a standard P-bass, not the big baseball bat of the 51.

Fender Squier 50s Classic Vibe Precision P Bass NECK | eBay

JC

edit, they also have a couple without the tinted finish for 10 bucks cheaper than the one linked, check out their ebay site.

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Not sure about the "rounded bass neck in the square neck pocket" issue, as I've never tried, but I *have* done this exact thing with a Strat neck on a Tele body... it fit snugly enough, and just had a slight gap at the front corners. Cosmetic issue only.