6 Strings Under $1000 Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJORA64, Oct 12, 2011.

1. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    As it turns out, the Peavey Grind 6 String I ordered back in July won't be ready until "probably" the end of December when originally they said it was going to be "sometime in September". To me this is a real pisser, so I went snooping around on the internet and I compiled a short list of practical basses in my price range: under a grand. But I do have some questions about some models if anyone's familiar.

I like to slap, pop and tap the bass so I'm into wider string spacings. So does anyone know how the spacing on a Schecter Stiletto Studio or Custom feels? Likewise for an ESP LTD B-206SM? Or can anyone compare the spacing to another bass?

And now here's a question I think I know the reaction will be. Looking around Kijiji I noticed three Yamaha RBXJM2 basses were for sale. I've read threads about them before so you don't have to go on about how bad some things are about them. I only know that the neck 34" and "tighter" string spacing than normal 6 strings. All I want to know is if the neck and string spacing is comparable to a Ibanez SR506, because my old school had the 5 string version and I found the spacing too tight for slapping, poping and tapping.

I don't need any questions for a Cort A6, played one before, beautiful string spacing.

2. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    Bump

3. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    As a point of reference, 5- and 6-string Ibanez SRs have 16.5mm string spacing (and a 34" scale, but you probably knew that already). The Peavey Grind and Schecter Stiletto 6 both have 35" scales, and I can't find info for the Stiletto's string spacing, but it appears the Grind 6 has a 16.5mm string spacing (same as the SR).

Have you tried an Ibanez BTB? The sixers have 17mm string spacing, a 35" scale, and they get great reviews.

No matter what bass you end up with, though, don't expect a miracle: it will be more difficult to slap and pop on a 6-string bass than on a 4- or 5-banger.

4. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    I have tried the BTB at a local music store and I thought it was fantastic, but I just don't like the horns on it.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1 and I like the horns.

Great bass for the money IMO....

6. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Bang-for-buck-wise, Ibanez is very hard to beat in the $500 to $1000 price range, anyway.

7. leigh22

leigh22

Oct 25, 2010
    Yeah, If i had to pick up a 6er in the $1000.00 range I'd probably be looking to ibanez if you like to tap, Need smooth action. They can be a little tight for slapping and popping, as it seems to me that ibanez always strives for comfort in the "feels close to a 4 or a 5" sense.

If you can find a used btb from before the horns got all strange looking (personal opinion) they are some of the best basses in that range (again personal opinion)

Heres some pics to get you GASing (possibly)

IMG_3651.jpg

P1020616.jpg

And as a point of reference as to what the horns looked like on the old "lower" end BTBs, here is my old red one.

BTB3.jpg

8. bzmnt

bzmnt

Aug 29, 2010
    Finland
    I've had RBXJM2 and two other sixers all with different spacings so hope this helps:

Firstly, in general, if the spacing suits you, I think it's not harder to slap on a 5 or a 6. You'll brain will get used to the new neck situation and the extra strings and sooner than you think you're handling the extra strings too:) Of course, if the spacing is 16,5mm it can get too narrow for some, like for example myself.

I know there's been a lot of mocking about the rbxjm2 and I think it's because it was too expensive for its quality, not because it's bad. The parts and electric work are below standards in 1000€ price class, they were pretty bad indeed. And the finish was unexciting too. But the woodworking quality was pretty good and the neck was stable and general feel was great.

People think that it's a very narrow spaced bass (since JM claimed to have made the spacing even narrower than JM1) but I think it's around 16,5mm or 17mm. I don't have it anymore so I can't measure but at least it wasn't narrower than my 5-string Warwick Corvette (16,5mm?), to me, it felt a very slight bit wider than the Vette. No problem to slap or tap with it. I have played the SR506 in a store and to me rbxjm2 feels better because the body is slightly bigger and the neck a bit thicker. SR multistringers, especially sixers, are way too neck-heavy and thin bodied and thin necked to my taste. As for the sound I think it's a matter of personal opinion. I think the JM2 has one nice sound, but it's not very versatile. To me the sound is the fingerstyle sound, not the slap one. I think with decent modifying you could make the RBXJM2 a very nice bass. I'd start with the bridge, pup and preamp. If you have money, change tuners too :)

Then I had a sixer with 18mm spacing, and it was better, way better. And after that I had a custom sixer made with 19mm spacing which is the absolute best for any style, for me. Very subjective here of course, it depends so much on everyone's personal preferences and physical qualities.

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  10. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    you might want to consider a Bassmods K6. 18mm spacing and top notch construction, delivered to your door for under a grand.

i got mine two weeks ago and absolutely love it. great bass.

11. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    I have an sr1206 and I love it. The neck and body are a tiny bit bulkier than the newer 506 models which is a plus for me (im not a fan of the super slim tiny bodies that offer absolutely no balance for the neck.) the string spacing is a tiny bit tight for slap and pop to be honest, BUT the string height from the body is perfect for popping (i find it more difficult to get a good pop if there is excessive space between the strings and the actual body.) but as far as tapping goes, once you set it up properly, the sr1206 taps like a beast. I try to use a lot of tapping in my playing and it really performs well. plus you can get them used for a very very decent price (got mine for 650 shipped with a hardcase)

12. DukeOfBass

DukeOfBass

Apr 6, 2011
    +1 to any Ibanez. I would also recommend a Peavey Cirrus. I managed to get mine for $1,100 brand new from The Bass Place in Arizona when they had them in stock. Not sure about the spacing, but I don't have any problems slapping on it. You can also get a Cirrus or any Ibanez at a good price used.

13. Vicdaman24

Vicdaman24

Jan 3, 2011
    I own a peavey grind now, it's a good bass for the money to get used to playing on a six but it leaves more to be desired in terms of tone being that it is passive. I you can, i'd say go for the cirrus series or ibanez 506(which i'm planning on getting soon).

14. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I had an Ibanez BTB Prestige which was excellent. I'd also highly recommend a US Cirrus 6 on the used market. Easily under a grand, and my Cirrus 6er holds it's own easily against my Roscoe SKB3006. Worth every penny and more!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021