1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

60's bassman 2x15 cabinet and 100B head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringfiend, Jan 27, 2012.

1. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

Jan 15, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Hey guys, this is my first post here!
    I've been playing for 3 months, and before that, many years ago, I played the DB and electric bass for a couple years. This time around I'm having a lot more fun with it though!
    Anyways I just picked up this amp for a cool $425 off of craigslist, its a Fender bassman 215 cabinet with a 100B head. It says the head is 250 watts.
    First of all, how did I do? I really like the sound, I get a really deep, thunderous tone from it. I turn the treble and frequency pretty low and I turn the bass and mids way up. Would this head be able to take another cabinet? I was thinking about adding a 210 in there at some point.
    Also pictured is my Squier P bass, its got some years under it, but I don't know how old it is D:

Attached Files:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's only 100 watts, and the speakers are guitar speakers. You'll probably outgrow it in short order, but it's fine for practice. It's not from the 60s, though, and the head isn't the tube head that originally came with that cab.

3. 2x15 guitar cab? Huh - interesting

I would question that if it weren't billfitzmaurice posting - thanks

I think you did pretty well at that price!

4. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    I had this exact setup as my first stack many years ago. The head can't take another cab, the 250w is the consumption rating of the amp the output is 100w. The speakers are more of a guitar speaker design compared to todays bass speakers. Use it as is and don't push it to do what it can't and you have a good rig to use until your ears tell you to move on. I played mine about a year, sold it for what I bought it for - and then bought a new Hartke stack...

5. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

Jan 15, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks guys, I didn't know it was a guitar cabinet! Still happy with my purchase, I'll definitely buy new next time I buy a stack.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just an FYI, your 2x15 speaker cab is a BASS CABINET (bassman 2x15) from 1967 and they ARE bass 15's (they just aren't near as heavy duty as the bass 15" speakers of today). the head is from the 80's.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bill refers to it as a guitar cab because it's more shallow than most bass cabs so power handling is limited as a result...also, you see more guitarists using Bassman cabs than bassists. But it is a bass cab, as that was its original intention. I've found they sound quite good at lower volumes for bass but won't take a whole buttload of power. But I still think you done good!

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Technically it may be a bass cab in name, but until the mid 70s Fender OEMs from Jensen/Utah/CTS etc. were generic 'musical instrument' drivers, and the same ones were used for both guitar and bass. They weren't the only ones, as dedicated bass drivers didn't start appearing until then, other than high end JBLs and the like.

9. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I had a similar rig for a number of years... sounds fantastic until you try to push too much power.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    A friend of mine had one, circa 1972, with the 100w tube head. I ended up pulling the drivers and putting them into horns. They cranked then, but it was a really big load.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    some of the fender 15's with the square ceramic magnets were very similar (if not the same) to the ones that ampeg used in their B15N's.

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    One driver used in the B15N was the Jensen C15N. It was also used in the Gemini l, as well as the Bassman, and a number of electric organs. The C15N is still available as a reissue, and the specs are quite interesting, including a 73Hz Fs and 1mm xmax that we'd never consider for a moment as bass worthy today.

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, they used quite a few different 15's in them. the ones that i was referring to are (one of the most common) the CTS 15's with square magnet, like this one that came in one of my '73 fender 2x15 cabs:

73-CTS15-2_rear-w.

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I think those are what I swapped out of my friend's Bassman, but it was a bit too long ago to be sure. Those square magnets looked impressive, but they were less efficient with regards to flux density than round.