1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

800 Watt compact bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Echovox, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Echovox

Echovox

May 8, 2009
    So I am wondering if any of you TBer's have an amp suggestion for me.
    This might be a pipe dream but I am looking for an 800 watt @ 4ohm head with the compact portability of a Markbass and as simple of a control layout as possible ex. Input volume, bass, treble, mid, Master volume.
    Any suggestions?

2. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Shuttle 9.0?

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Uhh, SD800/Lm Tube 800/LM800 are all pretty darned close :) I guess not QUITE 800 @ 4, but like 750 or so is close enough eh?

4. -Genz Shuttle 9
    -Markbass LM800
    -Markbass LM800Tube
    -TecAmp Puma1000 (500/500 stereo / 1000 bridged 8ohms)
    -Walter Woods Ultra
    - AI Clarus+

Dollar per wat.... Genz 9 or LM800

All have simple control layouts.

Edit: Puma spec fixed and AI added to list

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    yup....huttle 9 by genz benz.. and its only 4 poungs

6. Your link goes to the old 800. I assume you meant the new Pro1200. That's another option, but the tone controls are surely not 'simple and straightforward' on that amp, and the form factor is a bit larger than the micro's listed above. Still, another option, along with the Shuttle 12 Max if you want to get into a slightly larger form factor with more knobs and switches, etc.

7. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I was thinking of the old iamp800.

You're right, it's got a few more bells and whistles than average and weighs about 20lbs. Might be worth consideration to the OP. After all, I'm no salesman.

8. The new iAmp Pro (which I believe is replacing the 800) is the size of the old 500, is under 10 pounds and has more watts (due to switching from the transformer in the 800 to a switch mode power supply). So, that is definitely an option.

9. Echovox

Echovox

May 8, 2009
    great suggestions thanks

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm sure this was just a typo on your part Ken, but isn't it "1000 bridged 8 ohms" ...? I didn't think the Puma1000 could bridge down to 4 ohms. If it could I would have bought one last week :p

11. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    the MarkBass SD800 will get you there. The only thing not on your wish list is that the SD800 has semi parametric mids, but they are a snap to use.

12. The LM800 is literally (or virtually anyway.. might be a different power module) the SD800 in a smaller box without the semi-parametric mids. They sounded identical to me.

13. Acoustic Image, either the Focus (Series III) or the newer Clarus+. 8, 4 and 2 ohm capability.
    They are small and weigh nothing (<5 lbs.). Made in the USA.

14. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

LMTube 800 with the bag, is the way to go. The $/sound ratio is awesome!
    The MB website has the spec. as 800 @ 4ohms. Last night mine got the job done that my WT800 just couldn't quite handle. I think you had the answer in your original post. ;)

15. I totally forgot about the Clarus+ +1 to the Clarus+ also. That should definitely be on the list.

16. Yeah, I was going back and forth with how I was typing the specs, and originally had 500 per side at 4ohms. I'll fix it.. thanks.

K

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    When I read that my heart skipped a beat. I thought maybe I'd been reading the spec for the Puma1000 wrong. Alas... she won't bridge down to 4 ohms :(

18. Echovox

Echovox

May 8, 2009
    all great amps. I really just want a basic control setup. I wish their was a place to have one custom made!

19. :confused: Why would you want that. You have at least five amps here, all around 5 or 6 pounds, all micro sized, all simple controls (gain, a few EQ knobs, and master, some with a few buttons or filters you can ignore if you want) and all at the wattage that you asked for.

What are we missing here? I dont' get it.

Edit: If for some reason, a couple of extra knobs confuses you, check out the Markbass Momark system. You can build an 800 watt Markbass amp with just a pre gain, a simple four band EQ (bas, lo mid, hi mid, treble) and a post master with no filters. It would cost about the same as the LM800.