1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

89 Ibanez SDGR 800 made in Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RoccoI, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I'm looking at purchasing this bass, pretty good condition, some buckle rash but everything else is fine, comes with a hardcase.
    Lowest guy will go is $300. Any opinions? Good price?
    Thanks

2. Some pics.

Attached Files:

3. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Those are amazing basses. They usually have a sound very similar to Spector basses. And $300 Canadian is a good price. At L&M I have seen them at around $400 depending on condition

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Great bass for the money - I have two of these myself. $300 is a good deal as long as everything is in order (mostly neck, sometimes electronics).

That doesn't have the sweepable 3-band preamp that was upgraded later on, but it does have the width adjustable, locking bridge made by Gotoh, which kicks ass.

5. If the color and size suit you, for me it would be a no-brainer if it's a solid axe (no electronic issues, impossible neck relief, etc.). Anything like this is perfect in that everybody makes pickups and preamps for these routs should you later want to update. These MIJ Ibanez from that time period are wonderful axes.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I have an 89 SR800 too, it’s a great bass and well worth the money -I’d say its value far exceeds that price. Buy it quick, buy it now.

7. Yes! The voices in both of your ears are whispering "Buy it!"

8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Fuji Gen built & black: win win! $300 is a great price for bass of this caliber.

9. I think I will buy it. thanks

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    this one's condition looks used but not abused. lots of fine scratches but no huge paint chips. these often have a lot of chips in the headstock. the body is basswood so it can dent and ding easily.

i have a fretless 1989 SR800 and 1987 SR1000 both in good condition and a 1995 SR800 in excellent condition. i got them for the equivalent of $180-$210 CAD so they can be found for less.

11. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    That usually only happens when people don't know what they have - which is a problem with these as all early Soundgear basses look very similar and these were prone to the SR800 sticker peeling off. Once that's gone, a lot of people confuse them for regular SR400s which are worth much less. Anyone who "knows" these basses, knows their worth.

packhowitzer and Doctor J like this.
  12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    the best deals are when someone doesn't know what they have. happens often.

Heathen_S13 and MarkoYYZ like this.
  13. I bought a 1990 sr800 in similar condition about 4 months ago for $300, so I’d say that’s a pretty good deal.

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've owned several 800's over the years; it's definitely worth $300.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Love that one in your Avitar :) Looks like one I saw a few years ago in Calgary and I still regret not leaving with it! However I have a similar era SR 400 in purple that is holding down that fort for now :)

16. They are great instruments! 300 bucks is cheap for such a quality bass.

Heathen_S13 likes this.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes....confusing especially since they didn't put the model number permanently on the headstock. I bought mine for $80 with hard case several years ago. You usually see this happen at pawn shops - they don't often know what Ibanez model someone brings in especially ones without any model number on it nor do they particularly care as long as they make more money than what they paid for it.

As long as everything checks out, it's an incredible bass. This is one of the earlier ones with the Lo-Z pickups (later ones have the AFR with the stacked knobs) - both versions though are ACTIVE pickups along with the preamp, not passive passive pickups so the range in tones is incredible. Another important thing to note about these basses is that they are graphite reinforced so even though the neck is typical SR slim, they are very stable.
    Worth $300 ? Yes - these along with the higher SR models were considered what the prestige level Ibanez basses are today. Ibanez made their high end basses back home in Japan at the Fujigen factory which this was.

packhowitzer likes this.
  18. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I purchased one in 1989. Lo Z pickups, black, identical. Loved it!. I remember the neck being amazing as with the tone. Sold I a few years after purchse when my work situation forced me to take a long hiatus from gigging. You won't be disappointed.

19. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    They still look very contemporary for what are now vintage instruments, such a great design which has become a classic.

sr71.

20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Definitely buy it. Those are classics.
    Is that $300 CAD or USD?