1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A bass pedal that will replace my rhythm guitarist

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Fig.Neutron, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Fig.Neutron

Fig.Neutron

Apr 16, 2010
    We lost our rhythm guitarist. Is there a pedal that can leave a clean bass sound and add a distorted harmonizer to make it sound like a crappy guitarist following me exactly? As a bass player in a band that isn't very bass driven, I need to fill in the sound in the parts that the guitarist is too damn stubborn to change.

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Don't know about cheap, but the Roland VB-99 does it really well. Only about 1500$.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i've had some success with octave pedals...the ehx micro pog is what i use. it's a little clean and chimey by itself but with a little distortion on it, the higher octave sounds pretty cool to add some 8 or 12-string bass effect. and it tracks extremely well and lets you split the octave from the clean sound.

but unless the guitarist starts playing guitar like he needs to in a 3 pc band, it's not going to work. there's a whole different art to playing guitar in a 3-pc band...you don't have to stick strictly to rhythm but there can't be any dead air n the leads. as for the bass, most 3-pc bassists that pull it off well don't do a whole lot different than normally.

4. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Boss RG-3: Rhythm guitar pedal ;)

5. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I use a Roland GR-20 bass/guitar synth, with it's output fed back into my Boss GT-10B multi's External loop Return, and apply distortion, chorus and reverb, and occasionally a touch of harmonist too.
    That's our rhythm section, and i get to keep playing my normal bass lines too.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    you may want to try this...when using FX I split my signal and run a dry signal to the bottom cab and the wet signal to the top cab using a stereo pre and amp or you could use two amps. Then when you run the octave with distortion your clean dry bass tone will be preserved.

7. you want an Akai Unibass. Or an EHX HOG. Both very expensive. You should search the effects forum, several threads there about this subject.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    EHX Micro POG: Dry control turned all the way to one side (I think it's clockwise), octave-down turned fully CCW, octave-up turned fully CW.

Wet output into a distortion that makes your bass mix well with the guitarist. I'd use an EHX Big Muff Pi.

Get a DOD 240 or Rolls 4-channel resistance mixer. Then it looks like this:

EHX Micro POG (Dry) --> Mixer Channel 1
    EHX Micro POG (Wet) --> EHX Big Muff Pi
    EHX Big Muff Pi (Wet) --> Mixer Channel 2

That way you have have your clean bass channel, clean/dirty octave channel, and two other channels for whatever other reason you may have.