A Cab that does it all?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Is there such thing? I'm using a Aguilar DB750 and 5 string bass most of the time. I play rock/funk.reggae(ish) tunes, but dabble in jazz and blues. Mostly fingerstyle, but bust out a slap line here and there and even some tapping.

My last rock gig, I used my db750 with a Euphonic Audio VL-210.(8ohms) It sounded great, but lacked big chest pounding bass and mids. I added my Ampeg BXT210M(4 ohms) to it, and it got better, but not quite there yet. (more speakers/more power)

What are some of your recommendations based on all that above?

I've been tossing around ideas of: (all 4ohm)
    Epifani UL410
    Epifani UL610
    Aguilar GS410
    Aguilar GS412
    Aguilar GS410 x2
    Aguilar GS410 + GS212
    Bergantino HT322
    Accugroove Whappo Jr.
    Schroeder 21012
    Schroeder 310212
    Schroeder 410

Once again, I'm looking for Big bottom, punchy mids, and a smooth but sizzly when needed top. And I want to use my db750 and not add another power amp. Does it exist?
  2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

I would think that your 750 > VL210 would give you plenty of thump, and certainly with your BXT210 it should slam.

Since you need more "chest pounding bass and mids", Of the group you mentioned, I'd definitely check out the bigger Schroeder boxes (which people seem to love, and which I know very litte about), The Bergie 322, Epi 401UL, and Whappo (my personal fave for the chest pounding action), or Whappo jr.

In addtition, I'd look into an NV215, or NV610,

If you're looking for the smooth and "sizzly when needed" top end, the two that immediately come to mind are the el whappo, and the the Bergie NV215.

With that head, you should definitely be able to get the sound you're searching for. Best of luck!
  3. From your description, sounds like you want a cab with a tweeter, which would eliminate the Berg NV's (that 215 NV has a nice high end, but I wouldn't call it sizzle).

The Epi410UL sounds great, but isn't a great matchup with the DB750... a little too refined for the big wump of that head. It sounds great (just heard that combination yesterday evening), but the low end of the Epi410UL is more tight and punchy vs. big. Never heard the 610UL and have not talked to anyone who has purchased or heard one. I would think it would have a similar tone profile to the 410UL though.

I'm not familiar with the large Ag cabs.

So... that leaves the larger Schroeders. Jorg uses a 1212 with the 750 for even his larger gigs. So.. I assume the 21012 would just scream, and the tweeter will give you plenty of sizzle if you want.

And... the El Whappo.... big, big, big low end and pretty good definition up top.... I wouldn't call it sizzle, but nice.

And... The Berg322.... I played through that cab the first time last night. First, it's HUGE and HEAVY... feels like over 100 pounds. No way for me! However, it sounded good... seemed relatively inefficient (my Thunderfunk didn't seem to open it up at all) but I assume the DB750 has enough wump to do it. It's a great sounding cab with plenty of bottom.

For size, weight, punch, value, etc.... it would be the Schroeder21012 regular for me if I was looking for the sound that you describe.

Good luck.

PS the VL210 has great low end for a small cab... but there's just so air that a single small cab can push... any of the above would bury the VL210 IMO... of course, they are all much larger cabs.
  4. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
  5. You know, after hearing the NV215 last night, and considering the treble tone of the DB750, I'm with you guys... the NV215 would make my list. It's amazing how much definition and nice, smooth high end that little mid driver adds to that cab. And talkin' about the big boom...wow. I guess the only issue is finding one!
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I think the Schroeders definitely have alot of bang for the buck, and when you consider size vs. weight vs. volume vs. cost, the bigger schroeders are tough to beat. I personally wasn't enamored (sp?) with the tone of the schroeders, but thats just me. Jorg is a fantastic guy, and his cabs are top notch, I just have different tonal preferences. I'd still love do demo some of his stuff on a gig to see how much they can really put out!

The NV215 does have a some some "sizzle" but its kinda different since you're getting it from the 6" instead of a horn tweeter. Someone just scored one for $550 on weebay, what a deal!

The aggie 2x10 and 4x10 never knocked my socks off. I think they are good cabs, but I'm much more impressed woth some of the others mentioned.

I see you are in Michigan. If you're anywhere close to Low Down Sound in Ferndale I would suggest going there to check stuff out, they're dealers for a few of the cabs you've mentioned.
  7. Good stuff so far. Keep it coming!
  8. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    Omni 15 Bass/Keyboard/PA Speaker

The woofer is horn loaded, as are the Eminence Alpha 8MR and ASD 1001 drivers, and that means loud. But at about 80 pounds and measuring only 26.5 inches wide, 30 inches high and 17 inches deep, it's no larger than reflex cabs that can't touch its output. This response chart shows the measured response, half-space outdoors, of the Omni 15 when loaded with an old favorite woofer, the EVM-15B.

On average 4dB higher in sensitivity than a reflex box, the Omni uses less than half the watts to reach the same volume level. The 100dB/watt average sensitivity from 40 to 100 Hz is as good as most 15 or even 18 inch subs, so in most cases you won't need to use one with an O15. On electric bass the Omni has deeper lows than the average 2x15, stronger mids than the average 2x10, and unsurpassed highs

Attached Files:

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Based on what you are looking for, I would recommend the HT322 cab as a single cab, but also the GS410/GS212 combo if you don't mind the extra stuff to carry
  10. I don't mind two simi-heavy cabs compared to One Super heavy one. I've heard great things about the Berg322, but still ponedering if a two cab setup would be better overall.
  11. I don't know about a "sizzly" top end, but I played a Schroeder 1210 a couple of weeks ago and it had everything you described. I only tried it with the tweeter off, so you might be able to get the "sizzle" you want with the tweeter.
  12. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This would be a fabulous cabinet, but you have to build it or get it built.

Another option, although lower in performance than the omni, is a good three way speaker such as:

This will do it all.
  13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I like the two cab approach for several reasons: One, its a modular setup. This is especially good if you have two identical cabs, so you can bring one to rehearsals or smaller gigs, and the second when you need it. That way, you keep the tone more consistent. Say you had a 210 and a 15, you bring the 210 for rehearsals, and when you add the 15 on gigs, you are bound to alter the tone of your rig. If you have 2 2x10's or whatever, whether you use one or two, the tone is going to be more consistent from setup to setup. Plus, if you have two identical cabs, you can do fun things like put one on either side of the drum kit, I like that one, it helps alot especially with "loose" drummers, or if you like to move around more on stage.

The other reason is that more often than not, two cabs give you more vertical height than one cab. I really like having my cab's drivers closer to my ear level, I've started raising my El Whappo up on a small riser just to get the drivers closer to my head. It helps eliminate coupling with the stage, projects even better, allows me to hear myself better with less stage volume.

I really don't think you will go wrong with any of the cabs you've mentioned. It'll just come down to personal preference. I hope you get a chance to demo some or all of the cabs you talked about. Thats the drag about high end bass gear. If you're not within driving distance from a "super bass" dealer, you end up choosing gear based on opinions and biases, which usually works out OK, especially with all the valuable info available from the guys here. But theres no substitute for hearing the stuff yourself.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The DB750 hooked to an HT322 is a dominating sound. Although, I must say that the HT322 can produce the "sizzling highs," but the DB750 isn't known for that. Some sort of Eden head would give more highs if properly EQ'd.
  15. When I said "sizzling highs", I meant it more as a clarity in the highs. (for slap lines ect) For example, I hear awsome things about the NV610, but without a tweeter/horn, I don't think it would cut it for me.
  16. Is the Berg 322 a very power hungry cab ?
  17. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    What's wrong here, no one has mentioned Genz Benz.

You guys don't like them, or you've just never heard them?

18. Very much so. I had the pleasure of playing one Friday night.... very nice sounding, but my Thunderfunk really wasn't enough.. it's the first cab I've hooked my TF to that the TF didn't really work IMO. It was also literally one of the heaviest cabs I've ever experienced, and was very large, deep and wide... no way a single person could lift this on stage IMO. Nice sounding though, but IMO you would need the big watts to open it up, and a friend to help you haul it around:D

Great sounding cab though, with some big watts.
  19. That's what I thought about the power. I'm "just" going to use my DB750, and I don't want to add another power amp. Same for the larger schroeders, The big boxes can take like 1000-1400 watts, and I don't feel I would be doing them justice with 750 @ 4ohms.

20. I've heard of them, just never heard them in person.
    But at 130lbs it a bit much. Even the Aggie 412 is 15lbs lighter! And after about 100lbs, every pound counts.:)