1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A good 4 string bass to tune B E A D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markdavid, Jul 20, 2008.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    I will be buying a 4 string bass soon with the intention of stringing it B E A D (i will file the nut to fit the larger strings) as most of my basses at the moment are 30" scale. I dont like 5 string basses so will be sticking with a 4 string bass and would like to stick with a 34" scale. Has anybody done this sucessfully with a 4 string 34" scale bass? , what bass was it? , I have tried this with a Squier P Bass Special but the B String sounded like crap

2. Music Man active SUBS.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I used to use a MIM Jazz(with a Mighty Mite neck) in BEAD for a long time, worked very well.

theycallsmecoop likes this.
  4. I think warwick has a passive one from the factory like that . . .

5. I did it recently with an Ibanez Musician 1979, and now it's a really nice soul and groove machine!

D'addario half rounds .70 - .130

;)

D.Don

6. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    I did it with a Japanese '57 P-Bass, just perfect!!!

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Anything that is full scale.

8. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Are you thinking of the Warwick Dark Lord, perhaps? (http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/vampyre_darklord.htm). It is a 4-string tuned even lower, from low F# and up.

I tune my 4 string Warwick Thumb Dirty Blonde to B from time to time, and it works very well (had to file the nut a little, though).

9. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I realize that this is not what the original poster is looking for, but I just wanted to point out to anyone who is attracted to this thread that the Yamaha TRB1004 is a four string bass that is 35 inch scale.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just filed the nut on my 33" scale Garz 5 string, which was originally slotted for E-C tuning, and have changed to standard B-G tuning and it sounds great.

A good B string doesn't always come from a longer scale length...excellent neck construction can make a 33" and even a 32" B sound great. I have played 35" scale basses where the B string was floppy and weak.

The other thing that helps is a B string that is at least .130...

11. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I would recommend a Roscoe or a Sadowsky or a Modulus or a Bee or an MTD. Basically any bass manufacturer who has a good reputation for building a 5 string bass with a good B would be a good candidate for a 4 string bass with a good B.

You might want to look into a 32 inch scale from one of these guys:

http://www.birdsongguitars.com/

http://www.landingbass.com/

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I think he was talking about the Teranis. :)

Cool! Come to think of it I down tune my Stingray to go BEAD sometimes. Not too bad, it would be great with a .130 string instead of a .110 though. :oops:

13. Talking about tension, by just increasing my string gauge a lil, I actually have higher overall tension on the BEAD Ibanez now than it had before as a EADG (according to the tension charts) and it really feels firm and nice (I like hard tension) so I think it's pretty much actually correct.

Should be mentioned that I like high action, so it was fully possible to release the truss rod a lil too in this case.

D.Don

14. Do they come in halfs or flats?

D.Don

15. Certain Schecters and ESPs are built for BEAD tunings like the DF-404 or the Scorpion Bass.

16. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
  17. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Never heard of that one, care to elaborate?

18. Ah rounds are not really my bag, thanks anyways!

:)

D.Don

19. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's a Corvette - Warwick do have a website, y'know.

I just restrung my much neglected MIM Jazz in BEAD tuning, it's been languishing ever since I got my G&L Tribute L-2000. I dig it.

c-

20. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sure!

I spelt it wrong by the way, it's Taranis. Basically it is a Corvette body, with the H/S combo that is on the Jazzman basses, factory tuned for BEAD.

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021