1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A good, reliable, easy on the wallet 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Presto2112, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I have my heart set on an ashdown mark king signature series head. It's on a permanent sale for 700. (no I am not interested in a 1250 dollar ampeg svt). I have 1100$ (15 yrs old) oh and the head is 500w. Any great 4x10s or even a good speaker between 300 &400 watts that still will leave me with a little money in my pocket (want to take the lady to rush with great seats hahaha) I noticed a $350 Hartke xl 410 (400 watts) opions??

Basses:
    2011 ric 4003
    2010 wilkinson fretless "jaco" jazz bass
    Late 80s early 90s hohner steinberger :hyper:

2. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA

shoot-r likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All bass amp makers make a 410, all of them are good except the very bottom of the line budget cabs. Some you'll like, some you'll hate. I like the Ampeg cabs. Hartke makes nice cabs, too. No real way of predicting what you'll like. However, if it comes down to springing for a good cab or a good head, get the good cab because a cheap head can still sound good in a good cab but not vice versa. I know you have your heart set on the Ashdown, so even if you have to go used with the cab to get a good cab and the head you want, you're better off than buying new IMHO.

4. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    I have the Hartke 210xl and it's a decent cab. I like it.

5. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    I picked up the Acoustic B410 after searching for a good cab for $300 or less, and I've enjoyed it so far.

6. I tested out the fender cab 410. Not bad at all.
    Sounds and it feels great
    350 new I believe.

7. +1 to what Jimmy said. I have a crappy heady played through a Hartke 4x10 (Transporter) and it sounds great.

Hartke 410XL sounds awesome and will leave some change in your pocket. But it is only rated at 400w

Hartke HyDrive 410 is rated at 1000w. You might find a good used one for about 500 bucks.

8. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Look for a used Peavey 410tx. I picked one up used for $100 and it was awesome. Can handle lots of power and sounded great. Only down side is that it weighed almost 100 pounds (no joke), so transporting it was a pain.

Bringing your girlfriend to Rush? Must be a special lady!

9. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    The NAMM show is in two weeks.. There will be some new releases from a few companies.. If you could wait.. you may make out..

10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I agree, you can find typically find great used Peavey 4x10's for less than $200-300. They are very solid built and sound great.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1
    If you can open your mind to more than just a 4x10, you should have much more choices. The fEarful have started a trend of better bang for the buck cabinets.

Last years models seem to go on sale around NAMM time. If you want a 4x10 it may be cheaper in 2 weeks.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Definitely buy used!

BTW, the Transporters are pretty darn good, IMHO.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1. and the various Ampeg 410's all always widely available used for $300-500.

New they can be fairly pricy.

I have had many Ampeg cabs over the last 25 years and have never had a problem.

14. WormtownBass

WormtownBass

Jun 24, 2011
    Authorized Builder: Bill Fitzmaurice, fEARful bass
    I agree. IMO 4x10s are heavy and inefficient. I'll never buy one again. A fEARful 15/6 will bury most 4x10s and sound better. It's worth checking out a few posts on them.

15. Isn't namm only in anaheim? I live 25 minutes north of Portland Oregon. And yes she is a VERY special lady hahaha.

16. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Mesa Diesel FTW if you can find one, if not, I might vote for the Peavey.

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Eden ex series 410. light in weight, decent price, Eden name, made in china but sounds damn good. made from real plywood. You'll thank yourself on the weight issue.

18. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    GK Neo 410. Exceptional bang for the buck.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The coolest new affordable 4x10 I saw at the NAMM Show was the new Genz-Benz Focus series 4x10, the FCS-410T. These new cabs sounded fantastic - well beyond their price range - looked good, and were very lightweight, even without resorting to neo drivers. In fact, we were so impressed, that BGM awarded Genz-Benz a Best of Show Award for the Focus line of cabs. :cool:

To mirror an earlier comment, though, the GK Neo410 is also hella good and far less expensive that you'd think it should be.

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Amazing quality and tone for the price, and amazing weight for a non-neo cab. Didn't play the 410, but the 112's were very nice.