Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, May 13, 2005.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm gonna want to sell my Eden WT400 this summer and get a new head. HOw much do you think I can get for it. It's in absolute mint condition. It has only gigged twice and other than that has never been turned up past 10 or 11:00.

Also, what do you think?
    I'm looking for a warm sounding head for ~$800. I love the sound of Aguilar tube heads but they're too damn expensive. I also love the SVT-IV but, it's also too damn expensive. What about GenzBenz, Ashdown, Mesa Walkabout or lower-end Ampegs or a used SVTIII? I'm really curious how the GBE600, Ashdown ABM Evo II and the SVTIIIPro stack up tonally next to each other.
    THoughts?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $500-550. It all depends on timing too. The week you put it up for sale may be the week everyone is hot for something from another brand. So, be prepared to take less if you are desperate.

-Mike

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That sounds about right. I am likely getting a new head as well inthe near future. Am leaning toward giving Thunderfunk a spin, but perhaps the Ashdown you mention too (I've just seen a lot of "my Ashdown crapped out on me" and a little scared to pick one up). I've tried the GBE and liked it quite a bit. I also tried out the Fender 800 Pro and liked it as well. Lots of good choices out there...

I think any of them would be better than the SVT IMHO.

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Make sure that the Kustom GrooveBass1200 is on your short list of heads to audition!!! This baby has Mesa-like tone, looks, and is a MONSTER!!! 800 watts @ 4 ohms, and 1200 watts @2 ohms.

This sucker is loud, clean, and can give you all the spl you need!!

Oh, ...all this for a measy $499.00

There are several of us here on TB that have this head....I guarantee you'll be hearing from them shortly. :D

5. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Why? What don't you like about the SVTIII?
    I've played on a SVTIV before and loved it. Nice thick tone. I think I may want something with a bit more clarity in the top though...something a bit more transparent but with the same thick tone in the lows and lowmids. In that regard I've been told to check out Ashdown, as well as the GenzBenz as the GBE600 I've heard can be a bit of a tone chameleon.
    What's your experience with it?

6. +1 :hyper:

7. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I didn't know that Kustom made heads. I thought the just made cabs. Hmm...
    What's the tone like? You say Mesa-like...are you referencing 400+ or Pulse-series?
    That's maybe a bit more wattage than I need. I don't need too monstrous of a head...although, if it's portable enough, the extra power never hurt anyone.

8. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Where do the Kustom's sell for $499? WWBW.com has them for $629 and they are usually cheap. Thanks.

P.S. Since this is typed, you can't tell that I'm genuinely interested in the cab...I'm not asking in a cynical or demeaning tone. I just want to find it for $499 :p

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Kustom started making heads again a few months ago. When I say Mesa-like I mean very tubey and warm. Don't forget that even though you may not need 1200 watts, it allows for massive hearoom, which equates to cleaner tone 'cause your amp is not working so hard.

10. If you never need to turn it up past 10 oclock why are you selling it? just dont like the tone?

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've seen lots of the for $499 on eBay...other places it's $599 retail.

12. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ah, okay. Thanks.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anytime...happy hunting! By the way, Bass Player mag just did a review of the head in the current issue....and it was very positive.

Also do a search for the GrooveBass here on TB....tons of threads!!!

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Big +1 on this head. Best head I've owned and I've have lots (SWR, Trace Elliot, Carvin, Hartke, etc, etc)...

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not to hijack the thread, but nice new avatar, Quad...new toy??

16. Quadzilla

17. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    yeah, not a fan of the tone. When I got it I was enamored of how warm a hybrid like this could sound. It didn't sink in that the warmth was sort of artificial and was more a template of Eden tone. The heads are nice, but the tone of an Eden head is very apparent to me and once I started hearing it constasntly it started bugging me. I felt like I was playing my amp and not my bass.

18. Quadzilla

Just to make things clear, the head I was referring to above is the Kustom Groove Bass 1200...

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In the $800 price range, of the heads that I have used, I would recommend (in no particular order):

Mesa Walkabout
    iAMP 800
    Thunderfunk

If you're into an all-tube head, the new Traynor seems to get rave reviews (though I have not tried one), and the Kustom head looks really good on paper (though again, no personal experience).

Tom.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Traynor YBA 200 with some new tubes would be the warmest choice you can make in that price range. It gets VERY SVT like when you have the right tubes in and set it right. From my experience with the Groovebass (I just played another today and it was a tad better than the one in GC; this one was paired with an Eden XLT 410) it gets fairly warm, but I'd say that there are amps which get quite a bit warmer in the price range, especially used. The Kustom does have volume if you need it though.