A Tale of Two Foundations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickpc, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Sell everything as-is as a set and let the new owner do as they please

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep the one functional bass as is to donate, then sell the rest as parts

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Finish the refinish job and have 2 playable basses to donate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stuff both in a box of carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    It was the best of basses, it was the worst of basses...

In my collection I have two 4-string 1992 Peavey Foundations. Super-Ferrite pickups, nice jazz necks - those who know these basses know they're pretty darn nice. Great starter bass, and giggable as well. Sadly, as I acquired them each has a major flaw:

#1 - black body, maple fretboard with the frets removed by a previous owner and fret slots filled with wood putty. Was also played with round-wounds, so the fretboard is kinda rough
    #2 - white body, rosewood fretboard, got a half-arsed Paul Simonon/London Calling treatment by a previous owner. Bad enough to bend the output jack plate and crack the body. Previous owner also used a pan-head screw to replace one of the pickup height adjustment screws. Because of this, a "Faith No More" sticker on the face and a heavy coating of tobacco schmutz it's been stripped to repair and is ready to refinish.

Currently I have the neck from #2 on the body of #1 - plays and sounds like you'd expect from one of these USA Foundations.

IMG_3253.jpg

What I've realized is I'm not going to use either of these basses at any point - I have nicer FSO Jazz basses that will be played instead. So the motivation to do a refinish is mostly gone, and the disassembled bass just mocks me from the corner of my music room, along with the lonely looks I get from the complete one just sits wanting to be played.

So should I sell everything as a package and let someone else figure it out? Donate the one playable bass and sell off the other as parts? Or stay the course with the refinish (and other needed work) and have 2 basses to donate?

wvbass likes this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If you don't want the black parts Foundation, and if you don't want to hang on to a bass you don't play, sell it.

If you think you might want a project at some point in the future , and if you have room to store it, hang on to the other one. If you don't, sell it too, but don't expect much money from this one. (Or the other one, for that matter.)

Me? I'd keep them both, but I'm not you, and they aren't my basses.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Since they are from the exact same era, I would do as you have done: keep the best of the parts assembled into one ready-to-go bass and sell the remaining parts. You are not messing with history or making a fraud bass by doing this assembly, it's a 92ish Foundation, not a 63 J bass. Plus, there are plenty of mod friendly/tinkerer/project guys out there that would love to have the parts and pieces to experiment with. I know I have loved doing experiments with my 80s/90s Peaveys, you get to have some fun and not suffer the verbal and mental repercussions from the 'vintage' populous.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022