Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Abraham Laboriel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 9, 2004.

1. hello,
    i was just looknig through the second hand store, and i came across a Laboriel CD. I have never heard of him outside of what i hear everyone here says about him. the CD is called Guidum, and i got it for 3 bucks! as it turns out, this guy is pretty good, so, thanks for talking about him, and making me aware of him!!

Charlie

2. All I know about him is that he played drums for McCartney's 02 tour. He rocked.

Hard.

3. That's Abe Jr. Abe Sr. is the bassist.

4. Ahhh!

But he still rocked.

Hard.

If dad's as good at bass as his son is on drums...

He rocks.

Hard.

:D

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had Guidum years ago. iff i remember correctly, it was a decent solo album with a World Beat kind of feel.

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Abe has been a first call sesion player in LA for 25 years or more. He is a world class player. His resume is a who's who's in contemporary music and he's also very well known in the contemporary Christian music scene. His son plays drums on the Guidum CD. There's another solo album available, Dear Friends I believe it's titled. You can check out his website.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    He plays on several Christian live praise albums with Ron Kenoly. They are excellent as well.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Abe doin' his thing with Vinnie-
    Live At The Baked Potato 2000.

9. That record is just awesome!! Those guys got something going on:) FUNKY!!!!

10. Abe has played on almost everything. He's one of my favorites.

11. Abe plays on 'Larry Carlton', my first experience with both. 'Room 335' and 'Point It Up' are great!

I just noticed he played on 'The New Frontier' also...the Fagen song.

I was thinking there was something wrong with one of his hands, like he was missing a finger or something, but maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy?

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, I was screwing around with that tune a couple months back...totally forgot Abe played on that album.
    You have the right guy; IIRC, he's missing part of the tip to his right index finger.

Something that floored me back in the day was Laboriel's slapped/popped fill on The Crusaders' "Soul Shadows".

13. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    The two best Laboriel cd's:

Laboriel Mathieson - Bass and piano duets. Amazing album, my favorite Laboriel playing.

Baked Potato 2000 - The Dyno Four live! Vinnie Colaiuta, Michael Landau, Greg Mathieson, and Abe Laboriel. Four of the best musicians to ever walk the face of the earth.

14. I just wish he'd stop hopping around the way he does when he gets into his solos.... looks strange .... but maybe it's just me.

15. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I saw him live with Koinonia in Zaandam (near Amsterdam), must have been early 80's. One big guy jumping all over the stage and slapping the fretboard with both hands. It was the first time I saw a bass player who slapped and thumped his instrument, I hadn't ever considered that this was possible, I was shocked. But it sounded so good and funky, and he got the whole audience into a frenzy. I think he played an Alembic then. Doesn't surprise me that his son became a drummer.

Steven

16. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    We talk much about Victor around here as we should, but if I were asked to choose to have the skill of either Victor or Abe I'll take Abe's.

Not only can Abe groove, improve, walk, slap and solo but he can SIGHT READ like CRAZY!!! He graduated from Berkley back in the early 70's. He has a reputation in the studio for getting it right the FIRST take.

I used to play with a fantastic pianist named Steve Kenny who used to play with the Honolulu Symphony, Jazz bands, etc. When an artist would come to Honolulu many times Steve would get the call to be the MD (Music Director).
    He had a chance to work with Abe many times on heavy reading gigs. I was told that very often Abe would suggest complex chord substitutions, inversions and rythms to enhance or segue songs together. Many times this was done during the first run through of an unfamilar tune (he knows his theory is my point). That my friends is called being a complete bassist, no wait..., a complete MUSICIAN!!
    Check Abe out on Ron Kenoly's live albums and instructional videos. Victor who??? :)

Thanks,

KT

17. Abe is definately one of the greatest lesser talked about bassist on the planet, I got this song he played on called ''police woman'' from the early 70's that introduced me to Abe, his solo on that song is simply nasty...

18. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Ab Laborial was originally with a group in LA called Quininia (my spelling is no good). The original group was Ab, Alex Accunia, and I can't remember the guitar player. This is a great album if you can get your hands on this one. I have cassets only. It is all intrumental for the most part. Also the CD that Ab and his son (plays drums) put out is good too.

19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I used to have an album by Al Jarreau back in the 70's before he crossed over into pop music. I think it was "Al Jarreau Live." Abe played on it. I had just started playing bass and I remember thinking, damn, that guy is good!