1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AC Guitars Announces RetroB Basses

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Alan Cringean of AC Guitars is giving a nod to the past with his new RetroB line of bass guitars. Alan wanted to design an instrument that was "a clear nod to the past, had a comfortable aesthetic being familiar on the eye, but retained modern sensibilities and features while still being recognisable as an ACG instrument".

"On top of the overall look the instrument would follow a more traditional construction method and pallet of woods. Alder and Swamp Ash body, Figured Maple tops with or without colours,one piece necks ,a first for ACG, 22 fret Rosewood and Maple finger boards. They will also feature what are standard on all ACG instruments, East Tone UK electronics, ACG B Series pickups and carbon reinforced necks. Currently available in 4/5 string with a J pickup configuration and P single pickup version.

"So a radical bass for ACG in that it is conventional in most aspects, with the admission we are all standing on the shoulders of those that brought the bass guitar into this world. "

AC Guitars | Website for AC Guitars

IMG_2181.

IMG_2186. IMG_2185. IMG_2182. IMG_2181. IMG_2088. IMG_2085. IMG_2086. IMG_2087. IMG_2084. IMG_2083.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yowzuh! That satin violin style finish is beautiful

3. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Interesting take on P and J basses..

4. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Wow! those are beautiful.
    Brent

5. Daz JP

Daz JP

Aug 12, 2014
    He does make some superb instruments. Really top notch and so beautiful. There's quite the following on Basschat on our side of the pond.

6. bunkie

bunkie Banned

Feb 22, 2017
    Gorgeous bass, but it looks like they forgot something to me. I couldn't live with this. Looks incomplete to me.

IMG_2181PIMPLE.

7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Never heard of this company, but everything on their/his website is beautiful. I suppose I will never afford one. :D

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    It's intentional I'm sure. It's a spoke wheel to adjust the truss rod (also used by EBMM and others). It's easier to adjust from here than from the headstock. Great feature, not an oversight!

howlin likes this.
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Agreed, I prefer them at the base of the neck

rojo412 likes this.
  10. I couldn't find any prices on his website. Just a £600 deposit.

11. @pica

It varies with the spec but Alan's creations start about £1800,same price as a mass produced Fender Elite. Not a lot of money for a very high quality hand build bass. Reports I'm hearing from the London Bass Guitar show this weekend is his order book will again be filling up fast :thumbsup:

12. Daz JP

Daz JP

Aug 12, 2014
    Yep - he uses super versatile filter preamps too: you can get pretty much any tone you want if you spec it right.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't like the colour at all!
    All else is ok.

14. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    Thanks for the positive comments guys really appreciated.

I have always used the spoke wheel just makes more sense to me from an adjustment point of view and removes the need to remove more wood from the headstock end of the neck.

The colour can be whatever you want providing I can do it.

New website in the works which will have full pricing details. The RetroB basses will have a very limited set of options and because of that a pretty much fixed price. The 4/5 string single pickup version will be £1875 with the dual pickup 4/5 version being £1975.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

GrooverMcTube and Daz JP like this.
  15. Sweet! These prices are quite reasonable for a hand made bass with high end components. I'd rather have this than a fender at this price point. And I love fender basses, heck I own 11 of them. That two PU version is sexy as heck. Make that in a Trans-blue and it would look sick.

16. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Thanks Kirk.

Alan

17. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Commercial User

Sep 8, 2009
    Chattanooga TN
    Owner and Luther for Bennett Music Labs
    I was thinking "it looks like a Tobias".. but what do I know.;)

18. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I based that on PU placement and the stated design intent of paying homage to those traditional designs...
    Finish, definitely not F inspired

19. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Saw this on the website. Hubba hubba.

[​IMG]

20. I own the first Retro B out of Alan's workshop, the four string sunburst pictured in the OP above (plus another 13 ACG basses and 1 guitar). The bass is everything that you would hope it to be. No handbuilt instrument is going to be inexpensive but Alan's match the prices of some factory made instruments from the likes of Warwick and Fender to name but two, so they're incredible value for money.