Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by badluck, Apr 27, 2005.

1. badluck

Apr 27, 2005
    anyone know what guitar Cliff Williams uses from ac/dc?
  2. I've only seen him in a few pictures but he was sporting a Stingray in almost every one of them.
  3. badluck

Apr 27, 2005
    thats what i was thinking
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stingray or P-bass.
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have also seen him with a G&L, 1500 I think.
  6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've also seen Cliff playing a P-Bass if my memory serves me correctly.
  7. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    He normally always uses old pre Ernie Ball 2 band stingrays.
  8. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    In the 80´s he used a P-bass, maybe until mid 90´s when he switched to a Stingray.
  9. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    The inside dust sleeve of the Back in Black album has a picture of him playing a MusicMan.
  10. IIRC, Gruhn Guitars here in Nashville had his P-bass up for sale a couple years ago....
  11. Several years ago there were 3 of Cliff's basses being consigned in different music stores around the city. They were custom made jobs with ebony fretboards and wide nuts. One was plain black with no fretboard markers. One was black with a penis and testicles inlay as fret markers. I'm not kidding. And the other one- which was the prize as far as I was concerned was an electric blue thing with an inlay of a nekkid chick crawling up the fretboard. I think that was the bass used in the "You Shook Me All Night Long" video.

They all were really heavy, didn't play all that well and didn't sound particularly good. They were consigned at $1800 a piece, and as they got around the price went up on them. I have no idea if they ever actually sold.

I thought all of them were dogs.
  12. lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    Music Man Stingray with flatwounds.
  13. When I saw them on the Flick of the Switch tour he was playing a Steinberger.

14. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I think he was using a Stingray when I saw them on VH1 Classic last night
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have a couple of live DVD's, and it seems to be a P or a Stingray.

Cliff ain't a bad bassist, by the way. I just was listening to Rock Your Heart Out from the Razor's Edge, and the bassline is killer, almost like Rocco on half speed :bassist:
  16. speaking of the Razor's edge, the bass sounds like a Jazz on that album- definitely 2 pickups.
  17. The master of the downstroke with out peer. Apparently he now has some serious repetitive strain injury. And I am not being sarcastic here. Good luck Cliff.
  18. Torgo

Jun 6, 2005
    I would like to know if they every plan on coming out with another studio release.

It's been a little over 5 years since Stiff Upper Lip came out.

I think that Brian Johnson is actually turning 56(!) this year as well.

As for Cliff Williams, his minimalist but grooving style is just what their music calls for and has always been a distinctive ingredient in AC/DC's sound. A lot more bass players could take a cue from his less is more approach.