1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbuist, Aug 9, 2012.

1. rbuist

rbuist

Jul 29, 2012
    Hey all,

I know acoustic basses are notorious for sounding too tinny and not deep enough, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a particular model that overcomes the stereotype.

I'm playing in a new band that's doing a bluegrass/folkish vibe and I really don't want to go about getting an upright- I definitely couldn't afford one and I just don't wanna go through the hassle of transporting one around. I can play my P bass with flats for any shows that we have PA support, but it'd be nice to have a solid acoustic bass to bring around without worrying about supplying power to an amp.

Any ideas? Or is the money I would have to spend on a good one not worth what I'd get in volume?

-Ryan

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have 2 that are VERY good and not tinny at all (when amplified)...as a matter of fact, they sound awesome on recordings:

1) Micheal Kelly Dragonfly with TI Chomes
    2) Rick Turner Ren 4 or 5

either will do you very good!

if you want more of an upright sound, get the Turner in fretless (which is what I have) and play with the tone control

these are both really fun to play....the Turner is a bit easier because there are no potential feedback problems and the body is so thin...

the Kelly sounds awesome as well but the biody is a little wide....

Neither bass (nor any that I know of) will cut through unamplified though...

3. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Acoustic basses are notorious for lacking presence/loudness. This is due to the fact that the body would need to be almost as large as a double bass to provide the proper depth of tone.

I have played many acoustic basses; some of them better than others, but ultimately I was disappointed with all of them.

Ended up buying a double bass. *phew* close call, tho.

4. Check the classifieds for the Ovation ABG I am selling and let me know if you are interested. It's a pretty nice one.

5. scrimjer

scrimjer

May 20, 2012
    i had an ibanez fretless ABG it was ok but thr bridge was try to pull off the body, but any bass you do get you will need to play with a pic un plugged for max volume, just sayin, if im wrong let me know