1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

active or passive plug in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitewalker, May 9, 2010.

1. nitewalker

nitewalker

Mar 9, 2008
    sorry if this is a dumb question
    Ibanez sr400 has passive pickups but it has a battery for the EQ. Do I plug into the active or passive jack on the amp? Anything else to know about settings on the amp or bass?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you have a manual with it, check what it suggests.

Generally if the bass uses a battery for an EQ, it's active. I'd plug it into the active socket on the amp.

3. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Active is safer. If it's quieter than it should be, switch to passive input. Often the only difference between the two inputs is that the active one is attenuated to compensate the higher output level of active basses.

4. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    What atheos said.
    You'll just have to turn the volume way up more on your bass if you plug into the "Active" input, which is not advantageous at all. I always go with the passive input.

5. ??

Dont you mean he will have to turn the volume up more on the AMP?

Its inportant he doesnt overdrive the pre amp on his amplifier.... better stick to the Active Jack and if thats not enough carefully select the passive input Gain

6. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    That too, but I doubt he would overdrive the preamp unless he had an 18v preamp maybe. IF the settings on the amp were the same, he would have to turn the volume up on his bass to be at the same level if he was playing through the active input.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I always plug into the passive input. Only if I had clipping problems (never have), would I plug in to the active. Most actives are not a problem. Then again, I have never had an 18V active bass.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Right, the active input is only for basses that have output levels high enough to clip the preamp, completely regardless of whether the bass is active or passive. The "active/passive" labels on the amp inputs are kind of nonsense, but it's a convenience for people who don't know how their gear works. Check out the "preamps" and "active vs. passive" articles in the FAQ in my sig, for a better understanding of this subject.