1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

advantages of heavy gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by salbassrock, Feb 16, 2013.

1. salbassrock

salbassrock

Mar 9, 2012
    Like the title suggests, what are the advantages of a heavier gauge string? Particularly replacing a medium gauge g string with a heavy gauge, same brand. If I did this, will it be noticeably harder to bow (german)? Will it be just louder? Or have an increased dynamic range?

2. Generally, you should have more depth and power. What kind of strings are we talking about?

3. salbassrock

salbassrock

Mar 9, 2012
    Im talking about the Kaplan strings. I got them about 6 months ago and I'm disappointed that the G died so soon. I know they sell a heavy gauge of that string, but I'm also open to other options, such as the Flexocor Deluxe. I'm mostly a classical player.

4. I haven't tried Kaplans or Flex Deluxe, so I have nothing to offer regarding those strings. Sorry.

I have tried Spiros vs. Spiro Starks and Flex 92 vs. 92 Starks, which was the basis behind my earlier statement.

If you play mostly arco and you want to check out a higher-tension string, I'd urge you to try Flexocor 92Starks. The set on my arco bass can sing, or they can shake the floor. Great strings.

5. salbassrock

salbassrock

Mar 9, 2012
    thanks!

6. My pleasure. I forgot to mention that the strings were five years old when I got them a few months ago, and they still sound great.

7. Are there any concerns, with regards to the bass, when switching to heavy gauge strings? I wanted to try the Passiones and my teacher gave me a stark D which sounded and felt great. I am considering just buying the rest of the set but I have only used medium gauge strings in the past.

8. If the bass chokes up, it's not happy.

9. If it chokes up with tears, I will respond accordingly, unless they are tears of joy!