1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AER Amp One VS Amp Two

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by audiorep2, Oct 24, 2013.

1. audiorep2

audiorep2 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Has anyone had the opportunity to try both ? I used to have an Amp One , which did not cut it with my Ramirez Baby Bass. The sub sonics were more than it could deal with. Is the Amp Two any better ?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    From all I can tell, it's a very similar sound with one less channel. McMurray Music had them, and when I tried them out, they sounded similar and were both pretty expensive.

Ric

3. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Expensive amps, and some interesting designs. They used to offer a 4 x 8" bass amp with four internal power amps. I think it weighed about 75 lbs. Interesting.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like an FDeck HPF/Pre could solve your problems.

5. GeoffBass

GeoffBass

Apr 25, 2012
    I have the Amp One for EB, and the iDoubler & Berg cab for DB.
    Have not used the Amp Two but have read in some reviews that the Amp One is the pick of these two.
    AER have the BassCube2 (12" coaxial speaker - 500W - mega expensive) for DB (haven't tried that - at A$5.6K who has?).
    You might like the AER 4 x 8" (4 x 50W) BASIC PERFORMER for DB ... I've tried one and thought it worked straight away for my DB with Fishman FC ... I would consider exchanging my Amp One for this model (there is also a powered AER full range speaker called the ASQ8 which is very similar to the Basic Performer ... but without the tone shaping front end, its sounds good too).
    good luck!

6. audiorep2

audiorep2 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have just been given the opportunity to buy a demo Basscube 2 for $ 2500.00 .
    I play a Baby bass ( a lot of subsonics ) and some 4 string electric.
    I am VERY tempted.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, you could certainly go that direction, that a nifty price for an amp that lists for $4,499.00. For that kind of scratch you could pretty much set you self up with a lot of fine quality rigs. If I had your deep pockets. I think I'd go with a Headway EDB-2, Demeter Minnie 800, and one of the new Big E 4x5's or an Audiokinesis TC 112. but that's just me. There's certainly nothing wrong with the Bass Cube. It's just the 44 lbs. that isn't my cup of tea.

Ric

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own an amp one and reviewed the amp three back in BGM #7. The two sound very similar, though I'd say I slightly preferred the amp three. Other than seeing it at NAMM, I have not spent any time with the amp two. IME/IMHO, these can work quite well on DB, though I agree that these amps are probably even better on electric bass.

9. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    CEO Ruppert Musical Instruments
    I have the chance to have played all three, the amp one and the amp three are the best models, the amp one sounds pretty vintage, the amp three sounds more modern. I added a tweeter to my Amp one and now it is perfect for me.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice! You'll have to show me pics of your mod sometime. BTW, we talked to Dana B. Goods about reviewing the new pedals we saw at NAMM. Very nice! :cool:

11. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    Will do and thank you in advance for the review of my new pedals, I am very proud of the Sonic Spark that we developed with the help of Michael Eisenmann the former chief developer for AER (he designed the mod for my Amp One too BTW).

12. jnathanj33

jnathanj33 There are two kinds of music, Good and Bad.

Jan 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    It appears the bass cube II is a viable option? Does any know where in the heck I can purchase one? I'm in the great state of Oklahoma.

13. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Did you ever get time to document your mod? The tweeter?

MR PC likes this.
  14. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    Hello guys,

It is a small tweeter that has been mounted in the box. I will try to get you some pictures and data tomorrow.

Calculations for the X-Over were done by my friend Michael Eisenmann, former Chief Engineer and Co-Owner of AER.

Regards

Jacques

MR PC, Peter Weil and tombowlus like this.
  15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Definitely interested in this!

16. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Jacques. I really appreciate your time and efforts. I'm looking at picking up an Amp One, and this mod would be of great interest.

17. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I think the Big E 4x6 would be a better fit for Baby Bass and relatively loud music than the 4x5.

18. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    Here you go gentlemen,

1. Schematics
    2. Data Tweeter
    3. Photos

Regards

Jacques AER A1 Mod. SICA TW. IMG_0281. IMG_0284.

Peter Weil and MR PC like this.
  19. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Very cool Jacques. That's some upper frequency range on that tweeter - makes this a very good go at a full range cabinet. I'm definitely going to need someone to help do this, and to read the schematic. What is the crossover point? And was your friend kind enough to let you know the frequency response (with -3 and -10dB pints) of the combo before you did the mod? Just wondering; it may be proprietary info and not possible to discuss anyway. I have always wondered what Sica drivers were in this.

MR PC likes this.
  20. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I don't know electronics, but are the poles on the Sica tweeter reverse-labeled in the schematic? Amp's + goes to tweeter's – .

Michael Eisenman (not the designer)