1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

aggressive p style pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jjhardy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    im playing a MIM fender p bass, and i like the tone i get out of it with my distortions/amp, but i can't help but wonder if an improved pickup would be worthwhile. the bass is downtuned and im interested in having a really aggressive doom sound (exg: i cant stop listening to Nostos Algos by Thrones). the seymour duncan spb-3 has seemed like a good choice by looking at it. however, i have heard from many that for heavier music that amps will make a far greater impact on tone that pickups, and that the seymour duncan would not be fully worth the money. any of you guys have some input?

also, i've thought to myself about how fun it might be putting another pickup (p or otherwise) between the original one and the bridge. how expensive would this be to have done in a shop?

2. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    I'd go with Dimarzio.

3. Contact this guy - He's a talkbasser, too, BTW:

http://www.searcystringworks.com/

Makes a very hot (11k wound) P-Bass pickup with neodymium magnets. Might be just what you need. I'm a satisfied customer.

4. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    EMG's are a good alternative too.

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ...I dunno, that quarter pounder SD puts out has some serious balls. I got it in my single coil p and it growls like a monster on pretty much any amp I play it through.

6. mr-cheese

mr-cheese Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    I'd agree with droskobass

i have EMG's in my p-bass, and i love the tone - it fits in with EVERY style - Metal - Jazz =]

however - I would say they aren't overly aggressive

7. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I think emg's and duncan's sound kinda compressed not very doom friendly. I'm in the same hunt right know but have no suggestion but to stay away from those.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Whatever DiMarzios Ibanez used in their Blazer basses from the early 80's.

9. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    thanks for the replies guys.

and ampegfuzz, explain what you mean by compressed, as I'm not exactly sure what that describes or how it doesn't work for doom.

10. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    SD QP's....in your face and a decent price.

11. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    i think that those pups imo lack the real grit. like they lack good highs and lows, just kinda stale for that dirty overdriven tone. kinda compressed right in to this middle garbage. But thats my opinion. What you using in your rig for an amp and dist?

12. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    That's the tough thing with pickups. It can be a total crapshoot.

In my '78 P, the QP's just pound with growl. I have a '95 AmStd P that has SD Hots which have similar lows to the QP's with less highs and more mids-they sound fat and warm, but aren't aggressive. The hot high end leads to the QP's aggressiveness IMO.

Also, put fresh rounds on the bass and dig right in and you can get into anyone's face.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    DiMarzio Will Power Middle. I have one on my MIM P and it's a monster for clean or mean.

Lots of mids, covered pole pieces so no clicking from my big fat fingers, etc. I love that pup!!!!

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

15. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    I think people have problems with the QP's when they put them in Fenders and expect them to sound like Fender pups only fuller. This is not their tone. Thundering lows, piercing highs combine for a very aggresive borderline harsh sound. For me it works great. For others, not so much. They are about as far away from the stock Fender tone as you can get IMO anyway. Tamed with a nice tube amp they crush.

I have them in a Fender Jazz bass now in a P/J configuration. The P solo'd passively is very thick. I mix in the J to round out and open up the sound a bit. Originally they were in a Soundgear, but I like them better in the Jazz bass.

16. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    i still say Dimarzio...
    as far as the emg's go... yes they seem to sound slightly compressed in the mids, but if i had ten that i wanted all to sound EXACTLY the same regardless of woods or construction i'd go with EMG's. they seem to take over the instrument the most of any p/u as if you could string up a piece of plywood with them and it would sound just like the pbass you have w/ emg (hehe, not really this is an exageration)