Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar OBP-1 (1 or 2 9V?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arwai, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hi,

I just bought a obp1 for my MIA P V, I have pretty much room for 2 9V. However, I also wanna know you guys use 1 or 2 9V for your obp1, and what is the headroom difference about?

Thanks,

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    According to the info on BestBassGear.com, the OPB-1 is either 18v or 27v (2 or 3 batteries) Running at 27v will provide you with an additional 3.5dB of headroom.

Here's a link to the page with further details:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp1-preamp.htm

All the best,

R

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    However according to aguilaramp.com, the OBP-1 is 18v only, running on two 9V batteries for "maximum headroom"

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    the OBP-3 runs on 9V or 18V!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, but he already bought the OBP-1.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    that is correct, obp-1 is 18v only. The new obp-2 preamp, which is a 2 band cut down version of the obp-3, runs on 9v or 18v.

7. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i find it hard to believe that the OPB-3 runs on 9v and the OBP-1 only runs on 18V!!!

i was under the impression that the OPB-3 is a lot more powerful in controls and thus needed the extra voltage!

ah the things u learn everyday!

8. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I believe it should be 1 or 2 9V instead of 2 or 3 9V batteries. I trust the offical website. :smug:

btw, i bought it from bestbassgear.com, they sent me 2 batteries caps only, not 3~

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it CAN run on 9v. It runs ONLY on 18v.

http://aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_obp1.htm

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I put one in my homemade 5, the installation instructions suggest 18v, but says that it can run on a 9v. I only had room for 1 battery, and run on 9v it does, although without the afforementioned extra headroom.

11. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    One caveat to my last statement, mine is the older, larger OBP1, not the smaller pick-sized cube they show now. Possibly the new ones will only run in 18v mode?

12. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Before aguilar changed to their NEW website. I remember that OBP-1 runs 9 or 18 volts. Sorry.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've got the older style OBP-1 in my Flea bass. I run it at 18v, and pretty much zeroed out (flat). Maybe just a touch of low end if needed. It sounds great!

14. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Arwai - I don't get it ... you're asking us for information about the preamp and yet when you are supplied with links providing it you argue with your opinion that contradicts the reference documents :confused:

Sorry I don't understand ... but are you looking for information or an argument? Hopefully it's just something with nuances of language.

All the best,

R

p.s. this links notes the 18v requirement for an OBP-1

[​IMG]

this link notes 18v or 27v requirement for an OBP-1

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_preampsaguilar.htm

15. Arwai

Arwai

Sep 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    oh.... I sent email to aguilar. they replied the obp-1 runs on 18V. Maybe I made a mistake. Sorry again. :crying:

I will use it on 18V now... :smug:

16. I have built an external pre based on OBP1 and it's running on ONE battery however I don't know how long it will be...

17. The OBP-1 can run on 9, 18 or 27 Volts DC.
    The higher the voltage, the higher the headroom.

18. The only thing I'm not satisfied is my own schematic. I've built it gainless so when I footswitch it on there is a BUCK-sound comes from the speaker, how can I fix it?
    *I use switch to cut the power instead of stereo-jack

19. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    OEM Sales, Customer Service at Aguilar Amplification
    I used an OBP-1 for a SX P-Bass that I had a set of Seymour-Duncan Quarter Pound pickups in. That combination (and yeah, used the 18v setup because you have to) is monstrous! Lots and lots of headroom with the 18v; little dial changes will have big effects.

I don't think you need to run it at 27v at all; the boosting this thing does on its own is pretty huge as is.

20. Why are you using a switch to cut the power?
    That's a terrible idea, and there is no way to quiet the pops.