Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Sep 28, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i cant decide whether i want to buy two gs-112's or a gs410. i like to play a mix of everything, from outkast to 311, to a perfect circle. im just not sure which to get. i do have a 2-door bmw which would include the portability factor(4x10s can be a little annoying to put in there.) i figure the 410 will move more air and such, but the 112's will be more portable. im stuck..

2. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    i had a 4x10. i loved it, but i just switched over to two gs112's. i love them so much that im selling everything else (SWR Combo and my 8x10).i sold my 4x10 a long time ago. now i can just use one cab for small rehersals and such, and both for everything else. i dont think ill need more volume since its paired with a db750. traveling wiht gear is so much easier now. i just ordered my rack bag from aguilar too, so ill be set soon. But it depends on what music you play too. if its a rock band, go with the 4x10. everything else, the gs112's would better. i think...

3. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    agreed!

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    two GS-112's have the cone area of about three 10" speakers so if you got three you'll have the rough equivalent of a 4.5x10, but it will probably sound more like a 610 because of the cabs 'coupling' and increasing bass.

I love my two gs-112's, but three would be even better for volume insanity!!!

apathetixx, have you tried stacking them like this???

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just get the pair of GS112's. you wont be sorry in both the schlep and the tone factor.

6. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    ya. it just looks better when my amp is the same width as the cabs underneath. i also like to put them on the side like that but next to each other on the ground.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    when I first got my cabs I stacked them horizontal, but got tired of bending over to adjust my amp so I stacked them on end. much better.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    get 2 GS 112's and fugitaboutit!:D

9. I'd get the 4x10. It would be louder, punchier and much easier to transport; you could do everything in one trip.

A 4x10 with casters would be much easier to transport than 2 1x12s plus a head. With the 4x10, you can put the head on it, and any other accesories and wheel it around. No such luck with the 12s.

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    It all depends on what type of music you're playing and the sound you're looking for.

I had two 112's that were perfect (although I've since moved to Epifani for the clarity and flexibility) for anything you'd want a fat sound - but I used a 410 for the rock band when I needed a more cutting clear sound. (although I sold that too cause the Epifani sounds so much better).

112 x 112 = portable, gobs of fat tone
    410 = bitch to carry, pure thunder

interestingly, when directly A/B'd, the 410 was noticibly more "full range" - lower bass, higher treble. Much smoother and a flatter response.

11. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    i guess it depends..alot of people dont drive suv's or pickups or wagons, so a 4x10 would be a hassle to squeeze in the back seat. i had a 4x10 and a fourdoor sedan, and it was do-able, but just a pain. my gs112's are pretty much just as powerful, and half the size. i cant even fit a 4x10 or anything in my truck bed anymore..but thats the price i pay for a bad A$$ truck. if i got lazy or had to walk a long distance, id just throw my dolly in the car and wheel my little cabs as well. i had a 4x10 for a while, i just got tired of using it for every little gig or practice. and im just rambling now so ill stop..

12. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    apathetixx, did you just throw your dual Aguilar GS412 setup in the back of that truck? ;)

I like the idea of playing through a pair of GS112's. I can't get over the bias that bigger is better. I lust after the GS412 but I don't even need to get that loud. I really just need a cab for stage volume/monitor and practice. I should learn to get over it I guess.

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    [​IMG]

Your shocks are out!

14. apathetixx

apathetixx

Apr 7, 2003
    Downey, CA
    i would love to have a gs412. its such a monster. i played thru one when i tested out my db750. man..it was loud. i think it looks so cool when you have a big cab like that on stage. if i played rock again, id get that over an ampeg. well..maybe.