1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguliar TLC Compressor vs Demeter Copulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pmano, May 1, 2010.

1. pmano

pmano

Aug 26, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Both have gotten great reviews. I suspect the Aguilar is more suited for Bass than the Demeter or am I wrong? I really want to get myself a compression pedal and was looking for any first hand knowledge from anyone who owns one (or have tried both)? I know a lot of it can be personal taste I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can prior to making a choice. I'll end up trying them both in music stores but how often does something sound great in a music store and you get it home or into your rehearsal space or on stage and it's not right? Help a brother out! thanks!

2. I do not have experience with the Aguilar compressor, but let me state unequivocally that the Demeter has NO issues with bass (in fact, I seem to recall someone here who thought that it retained too much bass). The latter comes at my highest personal recommendation if simple yet reasonably precise compression are your goals.

3. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    Yeah, bongo knows what's up.

Basically the demeter is more transparent. TLC is more tweakable. Both are amazing.

No issues with low end loss with the Demeter.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    +1. My compulator works great with bass, no problems at all.
    Not a versatile compressor but a great simple one IMO.

5. pmano

pmano

Aug 26, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Can anyone comment on the MarkBass Compressore? Looks more tweakable as well. I have a MB LMIII Head and they make great stuff.

6. My childish nature made me giggle about the typo in the title...:smug:

7. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I have really enjoyed my Demeter, but I've been thinking of the Aguilar just for the heck of it. But that's only because of the slightly less noise indicated on the ovnilab site.

However, the Demeter has been very good to me and has helped me really grasp a lot about compression.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Wow, how did I miss that?

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Personally, after reading through most of the reviews on bongo's site I'm probably going for the Rothwell Love Squeeze. Extremely transparent, completely silent.

10. pmano

pmano

Aug 26, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry, probably a Freudian slip. Good catch.

11. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I still stand by the Compulator, if it means anything. I would also say that it is very easy to pickup on eBay, but I didn't see too many Rothwells on there. Also, the Compulator has a much higher possible compression ratio.

12. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Where's Bongo?...

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Why does Bongo need to answer every compressor question when he's already put hours into his site and playing all of those units?

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I didn't see any question that wasn't already addressed. :)

15. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    +1 I've been using the Demeter for years. It does what's it supposed to and very transparently. Simple to use and almost impossible to screw up your sound with it. Imo, that makes it perfect for live use. Sure, you could do critical listening in a studio and compare it to this unit or that, but for live use it tames your peaks and doesn't suck the life out of your tone. What more could you want from a compressor?

Side note: Always use the A/C adapter with this pedal as I have found that it does not sound its best with anything less than a fresh battery and can sound down right nasty with a low battery.

16. pmano

pmano

Aug 26, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hey I never asked to summon Bongo but I'm glad someone slipped his link in there, lots of great info from that and from all of you. I am leaning heavily towards my first choice which is the Demeter Compulator. After reading Bongo's reviews though I am also interested in hearing the MarkBass Compressore. I'll check them all out. Thanks again for all of the help. :hyper:

17. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    maybe writing something on his website. you know, the one that answers all the questions in this thread :p