1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AI Clarus SL returns

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Michael Eisenman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice!

2. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Wonder why no mic input?

3. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I would miss the effects return level that I have on my series 3, as I use that as a separate input when doubling, but otherwise I really like it.

I don't use a mic for back line, but it seems a shame they don't have that option for those who do, but I like the two inputs with different impedance options. Very practical. I'm guessing they are assuming that the mic users are mostly working with external pre amps?

I saw one at the ISB and it was beautifully made + tiny!

Certainly on my GAS list! :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    +1

7.2" x 7.4" ??????? That's almost the size of a preamp but packs 600 watts!!!!!!!

lowendrachel and geoffbassist like this.
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Doesn't whatever you're running into the effects loop have a volume knob? The parallel effects loop is a big draw for me for this reason. I often run a bass through a preamp into the effects return which doesn't work well with series loops. Volume is controlled by the external pre. It looks like another knob wouldn't fit on the front. I wouldn't want to add to the size with more knobs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I could use the volume control on the electric, I just found it handy having that extra input level, but you're right and if it was electric in the return + upright in regular input that would work. I also like less controls so it's probably a good trade off for me.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Rick showed us that amp during the ISB convention, it's quite remarkable for it's "form & function. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear the amp. He also has a new cabinet that will eventually come to market.
    It has two 8" Drivers , one that fires straight up, and one that fires straight down, with a tweeter that fires forward. Leave it to Rick to keep trying something innovative. It's very small.

Ric

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    We had the prototype here at the shop about 2 months ago. (We had to keep mum until Rick officially announced it).

It sounds just like the other Clarus amps; has the same essential circuitry, same EQ. The two jacks are 1 megohm and 10 megohm, so all piezo and non-piezo pickups are well covered. It doesn't have an XLR because it's really intended for ultra compact, straight ahead, few frills usage.

And the SL is $549 with free shipping (the SL-R adds the effects and is $100 more). So it's a much lower cost of entry, for Acoustic Image transparent sound, 650w of clean power, and an amp that weighs less than 3 lbs.

9. ba88ist

ba88ist

Mar 4, 2014
    I'm curious about the term 600watts (music power) I've emailed AI about this with no response. Is the wattage rated like "early fender amp" wattage? As in make your ears bleed at 40 watts? Or is it the same way they rate "Peak Music Power?" A 10ms burst of 600 watts and it didn't explode on the first try?

I'm close to buying an AI product but the volume question is holding me back.

Playing outdoor festivals rootsy style music.

10. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    Although I have not tried Ricks new preamp (I have a Focus III) I can say that this new amp is really attractive for a number of different applications. I can see it being part of a micro rig (with say a crazy 8 or MAS 25 or 26 or a wizzy 10) or as the amp section of a rig with a boutique preamp (think EDB2 or Avalon u5 or Sonic Farm 2DI4 or Summit or Monique) or as an amp for a serious mic rig ( with a Grace Felix) or as the main amp with a big box like the MAS 46 (600watts is plenty of muscle with double bass)...it seems like a perfect little box...Some of these other super hip cats who keep threatening to put out an ICE based amp should take note of Ricks approach...
    I have a two channel focus that has way more knobs then I need but the power amp section is so good that I have seen no need to replace it...until now...I so like the idea of having both a power amp for a boutique preamp (I have an U5 and a EDB1 and would really like a nice Tube pre like the 2Di4) and having a mini little amp to throw in the pocket of my bass bag for quickies...( Im sure Ricks new preamp front end is pretty good)
    Even though I am happy with the Focus and Like its swiss army knife abilities, I would really like to have this little box. (I think Rick should really have that 20 Megohm input that the edb1 has, he put in a 10 Meghom input into my Focus the last time I had it serviced ((Rick just wins hands down on service period end of sentence all other manufacturers take note)) and it makes a big difference but it seems like having the 20 Meghom on the EDB1 fits with so many pickups that I own) ...

tombowlus likes this.
  11. Here are the specs a bit more detailed:
    Output Power 8 Ohm: 300W rms continuous, 350W rms music (40% duty cycle), 500W peak transient
    Output Power 4 Ohm: 500W rms continuous, 650W rms music (40% duty cycle), 1000W peak transient

lowendrachel and ba88ist like this.
  12. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    FWIW - the power amp in the Clarus SL is the same exact one that is in the Series 4 and 4PLUS Clarus, Coda, Corus, and Ten2. So any practical experience from anyone with those amps can inform your understanding of the real-world power of the SL.

Also FWIW -- I've generally found Acoustic Image's power ratings to be reasonably conservative.

geoffbassist and tombowlus like this.
  13. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I love my SIII AI Ten2 combo, but for the S4 products, I can't figure out why the "low" EQ would be shelving at 30Hz. That almost seems too low to be practical. Looking at all of the EQ points, I'm not sure what the Q of each is, but they don't seem as "upright bass friendly" as previous EQ sections, particularly the high-mid (1200Hz) and high (10kHz).

14. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Going only by the numbers can be deceiving -- the proof is, as they say, in the pudding.

Playing with the EQ on the series 4plus preamps gives you an idea how useful it is with bass. AI amps have always been designed for "all purpose" use, for all acoustic instruments. But it's important to note that AI's Rick Jones is, himself, a performing upright bassist.

tombowlus likes this.
  15. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I couldn't agree more, Mark, and I'm a big fan of all previous AI gear. Having not played through a S4, I have no room to talk. It's just looks like "on paper," 30Hz seems really low for a shelving point. Most of the time I'm using a HPF well above that depending on the room. I have complete faith that Rick is once again knocking it out of the park, but it's interesting to me nonetheless.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  16. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Saturday on a gig i messed around a little bit with the high pass and eq on my series 3 and the response was so strong that I got chastized by the band leader for turning up my volume too loud.

The new amp is almost so small that i'd be worried about it getting dragged off my cab everytime I got a litte rowdy shakin' it....

it is nice to see that they seem to have finally dropped the annoying multipurpose input jacks; those really bug me on my Focus; I tried to get AI to replace them with a 1/4 inch but no dice.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  17. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Mark, when do you expect to have these in stock?

18. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Probably in the next few days. Rick was telling me he was shipping them this week.

Rodger Bryan likes this.
  19. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Very. tempted.