1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

all around Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unclejam, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Yikes i need help.

i need a cab that sounds good With both a guitar and a bass

i play 5 string bass with standard tuning and guitar standard tuning

2. you have described the El Whappo, lol. Unfortunatly it's pricey... but amazing!!!
    Great thing about Accugroove, it's not made for bass or guitar, but "Audiophiles on steroids" lol

3. something thats affordable and powered is good too

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

More information would be useful. What type of music are you playing with each? Are we talking distorted rock guitar or clean guitar?

5. i play every thing

www.myspace.com/jeremywilliamsandfriends

i go clean at times

Also ill also use a hi-gain amp with a subharmonic processor

in other words i have 32 amp models ands 16 effect

not including 4 gain settings

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Carvin makes a nice one

7. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

What's the budget?

That Carvin 15" 3-way in the other thread could be pretty good if you're on a tight budget. I'm a big fan of PA style bass cabs.

8. well i an save and continue to use my curent rig but the peavey and the Gk need to go

9. I thought you were a Behringer guy... :meh: :smug:

10. im Flexible and i will still have Behringer in the rig :D

i just need cab or two Preferibly Powered cab that can withstand a HI-gain pre model with the ultrabass effect

and some HEAVEY HEAVEY BASS

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Ask and you shall receive.

Here you are -- Carvin LS1523A.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    The other thread.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Since you're running an amp modeler, make sure you keep the speaker emulation engaged so you don't kill the tweeters when slamming them with distorted guitar sounds...

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    With any decent PA-like cab used intelligently that shouldn't happen (think built-in padding in the crossover and a better compression driver than a Fosterx with an L-pad). You can do ungodly ultragain distortions with the post gain off the chain and your ears will protest quite a bit earlier than the tweeter does. PA/SR reinforcement of Pantera-level distortion never hurts the FOH, after all.

EDIT: but unless you are going for something past the sometime Pantera/WhiteZombie ultra-treble buzzsaw, you'll want to engage something that rolls off some top. So what BillyB from LZ says is still generally good advice, but for a different reason.

15. Any number of powered PA speakers should do ya. I use an El Whappo Jr and I have to play my bass + drum machine through it. On breaks I play my mp3 player through it too. It just sounds like a huge studio monitor. One of the things you might consider especially playing guitar through it, is that AG's have a really sweet tweeter that won't get out of hand with guitar through it.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good point... I would think that the signal that hits the board from those bands is from a mic on the cabinet so the high end is already filtered by the guitar speakers. I suggested speaker emulation to replace the guitar speaker and microphone in the signal path.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, that's why IO mentioned Pantera/White Zombie (I think it was them) - in interviews I've read they'bve sometimes gone full-range straight off of distortion devices, DI'd or layered DI/mic to get more upper treble ultra-wide frequency response. And I've heard a number of bands recording after them that seems to indicate that other producre/engineers and players seem to be emulating that for some cuts.

So 2 points remain:

(1) It can be valid to add more true treble than guitar cabs have the ability to produce

(2) Good tweeters can deal with it though the typical bass cab Fosterx subsystem might not

18. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Anything for bass is good for guitar IME so far. But dont try and play bass into a guitar cab.
    Jonathan

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good thing that Lemmy, Steve Harris and Chris Squire (and many more I'm sure) don't read TalkBass...