All-Bass Metallica 'One' Cover

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Williethump, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Screenshot_2020-07-21-17-34-57.png
    A YouTube bassist just released an all-bass cover version of the song 'One' from Metallica's 1988 'And Justice for All' album, known to shun the bass.
    GettyImages-1161825008-1392x884.jpg
    Someone's covered Metallica's 'One', but with all the parts on bass

"A YouTube musician has shared a new cover of Metallica‘s classic track ‘One’ with all the parts recorded on bass guitar.

"Mark Grocki’s new version of the track makes reference to the infamous lack of bass guitar on the metal titans’ iconic 1988 album ‘…And Justice For All’.

“ 'What they REALLY mean by ‘… And Justice For BASS’,” Grocki titled the new cover, which features all guitar and vocal parts from the song recorded on bass. The drums that feature on this new version, though, are Lars Ulrich’s original recordings from the studio version of ‘One’."

Listen above. Discuss amongst yourselves as this is the 1st Metallica tune, or any Metal music, I've ever listened to all the way through [elderly-how about that new band Nirvana, pretty good too, but stay off the lawn]. I like it, Mr Grocki. I can grock it, or else discorporate. The bass, like Sir Paul, can do it all.
    Maybe Metallica just needed more bass back in the day to become really successful.
    Images via nme.
    WT
    Be gentle, we are not programmed for defence-Robot's Rules of Order.

AaronMB likes this.
  2. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Well, that's embarrassing. I thought there would be some interest in an all-bass version of a hit song that featured no bass at all. By Metallica.
    [cricket sounds]
    [ciqueda sounds inserted here]

But I guess I was mistaken.

The heavy metal band? Big hair, loud. Huh. Well I sure as heck-fire remember them. No matter how fast I changed the channel it kept being Metallica for a while there, was that the 80's?
    And then my nephew Robbie loved Bon Jovi so much, but whenever I was frantically pushing radio buttons to escape Metallica and it'd be Bon Jovi, it would still sound just like Metallica- and just like The Who's smashed equipment falling in a stone well. Sometimes heavy metal and rap would be all that was on and my radio button finger would start to spasm up until I finally had to settle for NPR's 'The Magic Bowl Movement' in C Minus by Johan Amadaus Mudheadski, with Organ Le Roi, at his organ again!
    I tried to listen up to the bass part but it was hard to hear after my ole wartime tinnitus got all flared up from that rap hop and heavy metal. Like being in a tiny room with defective florescent lights sucking the life out of me while broken 15" speakers play those rabbit sounds the cia uses in hostage situations.
    So, I come to find out, they made this song, way back when God was a young peep, Metallica did, called 'One'. (Seemed to me to be tempting fate using 'One' in a title-One Hit Wonder. But then perhaps Metallica already had a hit song by then so no worries.)
    And I thinks to myself, well Willie me lad, here's a Web site for bass players, here's a semi interesting story with a nice all-bass video to go with, wonder if my so called cyber friends down at ole Talk Bass would care about a thing like that.
    20200725_103742.jpg
    And I guess we know the answer.

3. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    We got one! [Pushes big red button.] Yes, cyber friends and neighbors, this post has a 'like'! Probably its 1st view other than me, its proud papa. Thanks AaronMB. You've validated my existence. You are the only one of my so called TB cyber pals I'm inviting to my birthday party. They'll be sorry. There's cake.
    Screenshot_2020-07-26-08-12-44.png

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    We prefer cookies

8684D87B-D042-4E40-9E9B-60E43A7B7595.png

5. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks @charlie monroe, there are always cookies, this is the interwebz, check your spam folder.
    Yesterday I had to clear spam out my calander. Yes, thanks to the goog's spam generous programming, calander app spam is now a thang.
    I found out from my calander that a new iThing was waiting for me to pick up and that beautiful Russian women wanted to date me. Without evil goog, I'd have never known. It only took an hour or so to remove it. Thanks again, our Alphabet overlords.

6. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Carrot cake?

7. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    @WaldoNova, well, the carrot weevils were bad this year and rabbits ate the rest so it's substitute carrot cake this year. Made with turnips. You'll like it. Served with Ersatz Brother's Coffee ("It's the real thing!"), Loosener's Castor Oil Flakes and Fantastic Cigarettes ("Fantastic for the smile of happiness, Loosener's for the smile of success!") See you there.

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I'll bring some TP. I have a closetful that my wife bought months ago.

Williethump likes this.
  9. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks TBers.
    All seriousness aside though, like to invite everyone to the party, not just you 117 viewers or just you commenters neither.
    I'm inviting all 899,679 of you'all out here to my house. I tried to get Arnie's Whole Beef Halfs ("We deliver. Anywhere!"), but come to find the offer was not good after curfew in sectors R and Z. They never come into the hills!
    So I'm planning Southern fried glimps, little groat clusters we could chew on and for dessert Crunchy Chocolate Frog and Sheep-dip Cherrystone pie.
    Now that we got corn we can make whisky, the 2020-06-28 10.49.49.jpg 3rd red eye, and don't forget about that Philipino Creamy ("Coming in Shorts and Quarts!"). And tubs of slaw!
    Give you the address and directions later. It ain't the closest way but the plague's got the streets all tied up.
    Don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the wa.....[carrier wave]

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021