allparts necks - good quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric blank, Sep 25, 2010.

1. eric blank

eric blank

Sep 13, 2010
    BK NY
    I'm looking for a nice Jazz neck to for a P bass body I have lying around. Initially, I decided on going the Warmoth route, but I see that Allparts has some pretty nice looking finished necks for a much cheaper cost. Since I'm just interested in a run of the mill Fender neck, it seems like I'd get more bang for the buck with Allparts. Plus, those steel bars in Warmoth necks are kind of a turn off...

So how is Allparts quality-wise? Compared to Warmoth, American Fender, imported Fenders, etc....

2. I have a maple board bound and blocked Allparts neck. Its very nice. Great fretwork and binding. The thickness keeps it from being my main bass tho. Front to back it is pretty thick. It seems almost twice the size of my Geddy Jazz neck. I also have a VM Jazz necked bass and it is in between the Ged and the Allparts. Nice neck, just thick.

BnB

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I can't really compare, but I have an Allparts neck that is just fine. You posted in the wrong subforum though.

4. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I have both All-Parts and Warmoth. I will say that I like both. The All-Parts necks have a bit more chunk to them compared to a standard Fender Jazz neck. If you prefer the Geddy type skinny neck, you probably won't like the All-Parts offering. I like the extra meat on the neck, so it's a good match for me. If you don't mind the extra thickness you won't be disappointed with the All-Parts neck.

The Warmoth neck I have is fantastic. If I ever build or buy another parts bass, I will seek out a Warmoth neck. It plays well, holds true, and doesn't neck dive like many people think. Mine is bolted to a chambered body and it's not a problem.

5. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    ask Dan Atkinson. He can hook you up also with a replacement neck if you want

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I've had really good results with a couple of Allparts necks. I agree that, at least for the Jazz neck I ordered a couple of years ago, they are thicker, which I love. The blocks and binding are well done too.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    allparts necks are by far my favorites. they're lightweight and resonate very well. i always shave reshape them to my preference since depending on the model, they can be a bit on the chunky side.

8. Allparts makes very nice necks. Very close quality-wise with Warmoth, IMO. Don't buy one directly from Allparts though, their prices are nuts. Lots of wholesale sellers on Ebay where you can get them for much less.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I agree with everything said here. I have a maple w/inlays Jazz neck which I purchased from one of those Ebay sellers, to avoid the high Allparts price, and it's been perfectly fine. And the chunkiness is there, but I feel that the extra mass helps the tone a bit and might also add stability (less warping over time, etc.).
    Highly recommended.

10. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Would you say the thickness of the Allparts Jazz necks are comparable to the new MIA Jazz necks? I have an 08 MIA Jazz and it seems to be a bit thicker than past years. Way thicker than a Geddy Lee. Its super comfortable to me.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, you really can't compare any 'normal' j bass neck to a Geddy since they are shaved extremely thin.

12. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Oh I agree with you. Still they feel thicker than most of the other jazz basses I own/owned.

13. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes I have a jazz R/W board with pearl blocks on a P love it sexy and nice

14. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    I've bought two Allparts necks. The first was ever so slightly wider than the neck pocket on my '08 MIA jazz. Sold it. The second one fit like a glove.

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    How much can you sand the back of the neck down John before you hit TR? To save $200 on a neck I can do some sanding, plus I like tung oil.

16. I also have considered ordering an All Parts neck several times. They seem to be the only company around that offers a J neck maple/maple with white binding and pearl blocks for a reasonable price. The reason I have never ordered one is because I like the ultra slim "Geddy Lee" contour. It seems like none of the big suppliers (AllParts, Warmoth, USACG) offer that contour in a 5 string, let alone a 4 string. I guess the only way is to have a professional Luthier shave down a neck? (I don't have the skills, the tools or the space to do such work)

Anyway, sorry for the derail, it's just that I've never been able to find out this info.

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i could get one and shave/relacquer it for you if you wanted me to.

18. eric blank

eric blank

Sep 13, 2010
    BK NY
    Cool to see that there's a lot of good feedback about these necks. Even though I might have to shave the back contour down a bit, I'm pretty convinced I'll order one soon.

19. Thanks for the offer John, I will definitely consider it. I've been poking around on your website and it's cool!

20. TESPE

TESPE

Oct 25, 2009
    Siegen, Germany
    I have an Allparts maple neck with black blocks and binding. Like prevoiusly said it is a bit thicker than a Fender neck but it's like 10 times better than the one on my MIM Fender.