Alternatives to Le Bass...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Apr 12, 2018.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hi folks,

I've currently got a Two Notes Le Bass + Torpedo Cab setup and I'm finding that I'm really not utilising most of the Le Bass' functionality - I basically sit on the clean channel, never touching the overdrive or fusion modes.

So as nice as it is, I'd be pretty keen to downsize from the Le Bass as it's got a huge footprint.
    I like how tubey it sounds but since I'm running it into the torpedo CAB that takes care of a bunch of harmonic stuff.

What else would you recommend?

I'm after good, fat clean, that might get the hint of grit, and it doesn't need to have a DI.

EdPolo likes this.
  2. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Yeah, I sat down and had a good tweak and made it far better, using the EQ on the CAB to tweak weak spots on the Le Bass (mids on clean channel, bass on dirty).
    So no worries

JimmyM likes this.
  3. hztjtao

hztjtao

Sep 29, 2016
    the EBS Valvedrive DI is great for me although not very much talked about here.

If a smallfoot print is what you are looking for, the tech21 VT bass has very good tube sound and a simple cab simulation to top it off.

4. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Shift Line

Johnny Mac and TheLopp like this.
  5. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Mountains
    The Aguilar THDI will get you a simple, but very functional interface. The tube emulation is second to none, and it will save some space with the footprint/top-jacks - at least compared to the Le Bass.

If you want MXR-size and 9V power, the TC Electronics Spark Booster (full size) is worth a look, too.

6. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Sounds like you worked it out. If you still want to experiment try a Joyo American.

7. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    I have the Le Bass too and I think it sounds fantastic, the Torpedo CAB too! But I must say that these days I pretty much always prefer my Olympic tube preamp by Shift Line. Not as versatile but it sounds so good. Can’t recome it enough!

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Seconding the VTDI and Tonehammer. I’m keeping those two over my Le Bass.

You should also look at the Mesa Subway!

9. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Same as for me. EBS Valve Drive is a kind of sensation for me, since i've swappped a tube with a JJJ 12 AX7.

10. hztjtao

hztjtao

Sep 29, 2016
    the jjj tubes change the preamp in any way?

11. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    it change the game. my tone has became hi end. crystal warm tone.

12. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I had a Le Bass. I recommend the Shiftline Olympic MKIII.

13. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Honestly, the Le Bass is amazing, but I am going to trade mine to someone for an Alpha Omega. It is a great pedal and SUPER versatile, but my bass has great EQ already and I want the pure destruction of A/O cranked left.

So it has to go. I am trading it and a POG2 right now, and figure I will just get a Zoom B3 for the front of the chain stuff (DI, CABSIM, delay, all sorts of mods). Message me if anyone is interested, I am looking for either a classic Darkglass Alpha-Omega, or maybe the ultra if someone is looking to sell one cheap.

And then, to trade my Cathedral up for an Empress Reverb. Oh, yeah.

14. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Welll......to update, I actually sold my Le Bass and Torpedo CAB and kept the Tonehammer!

Once I read all of Eublet's Tonehammer posts, I realised I could get what I wanted with the AGS engaged but not much gain.

Sound guys LOVED it, way better than the Le Bass + CAB setup for where I'm playing.

15. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I currently have a Tone Hammer and have one complaint. The AGS circuit should be set up with unity gain of some sort. If you’re playing live and engage the AGS, things get super loud. Then you have to adjust your volume. No such a big deal on an active bass, but there is a tone change on a passive instrument.

I bought a used Le Bass on Reverb and I’m going to do some A/B comparison. Then keep the one I like best. So far, I only dislike the one thing about the Tone Hammer. I have a Eventide H9 on the board that can do just about anything, so I have things covered there. But a good overdrive is always nice to have on bass.

If I like them both then they may both find a home on the board.....and I’ll need a bigger board.

BrentSimons likes this.
  16. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Tone Hammer went on Reverb today. Even tried it with an Agro paired to it and the Le Bass won out. I really dig the "old school" bass tone and don't like much top end. The Le Bass cab sim is just so nice. Big round warm bottom end that isn't muddy combined with pretty highs that aren't brittle or clanky. The Le Bass is my new love until a sexier something comes along.

ccouch7 likes this.
  17. Kenneth92

Kenneth92

Aug 13, 2018
    No disrespect to all the non tube preamps, but I’ve had all the preamps mention here in this thread and none come close to touching the Valve drive, le bass, or Shift line mkiii. The Darkglass AOU was bad ass but Darkglass has a long way to go in their preamp department before it can come close to touching the tube preamps.

dcbassist5 likes this.
  18. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    Quilter Interbass 45. I use it as a preamp but it also functions as a useable backup amp head. I own or have owned a ton of tube preamps (including the Le Bass) and this is the tubiest and most versatile.