1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aluminum Neck Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oZZma, Sep 22, 2018.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Id get an RGI before an EGC

2. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
  3. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I’m very interested in what Developing Nations is doing

steelbed45 and arbitrary like this.
  4. Juice Box

Juice Box Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Honolulu/Seattle
    Yeah, 3 years was quite the wait. Not sure why it took so long, but I know that I wasn't the only one waiting years for their order to be completed. Not trying to talk bad about EGC, but their customer service was spotty at times... But to be completely honest, I think their communication did improve towards the end of the wait. There were several un answered emails and false promises in terms of when the build would be completed but in the end, I got the bass I paid for and the build quality surpassed my expectations. It really is a high quality instrument, and now I understand the obsession some have over these instruments.

Bleecker, steelbed45 and cataract like this.
  5. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    hey there, it's a custom bass made by tides, full alu, 34", 2 single coils in tb-housing, just a pick up switch, all brushed and waxed.

Home - TTTides Guitars

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Bleecker and cataract like this.
  6. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Thanks, its a slick looking machine!

droneboy likes this.
  7. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    what kind of pickups do you all prefer for your aluminum? I've been using some custom soapbars on my most recent build but have been considering bartolini for the added high end clarity. I heard Aero pickups makes a TB2000 clone pickup, not sure if they offer a standard mounting pattern for it though
    Do you use Humbuckers or Single coils or something completely different?

cataract likes this.
  8. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Just like with wooden DBs, there's a huge selection of good-to-great pickups available and folks use and like almost all of them.

I'm using a Vic's Model C (bridge wing and fingerboard piezos) feeding into a K&K Dual Channel Pro ST pre-amp for my mounted pickup system. I also have a separate mounted dynamic mic for a clear feed (Sennheiser e604).

It's worth mentioning my Alcoa has a Deuce1 bridge and a custom aluminum Deuce tailpiece so there's plenty of acreage for hanging devices and cables on.

9. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm looking mainly for recommendations on pickups for an aluminum electric bass :thumbsup:

dhergert likes this.
  10. arbitrary

arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've used single coils in mine for a while now and prefer them greatly. I can dig in a bit more and they sound more open, like the bass to me. I enjoyed the geezer P pickups well enough and the nordstrand 70s wind jazz, but right nownim using a pj set of the nordstrand blades. Looks mean and sounds great but I am tempted to try more vintage geared pickups.

Evil_Druid likes this.
  11. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Ooops, sorry, I forgot where I was. :)

Evil_Druid and arbitrary like this.
  12. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I’m planning on putting together an aluminum necked parts build later this year— those Aero TB pickups are intriguing! I’m going to have a buddy of mine build / route / finish a custom body for me and they’re in the running for sure.
    Larry @ Aero’s work is amazing— the Type 1’s in my parts Jazz are some of the greatest sounding pickups I’ve ever played through. I’m sure if you shot him an email he’d give you the exact specs and/or build what you need. I’ve corresponded with him a few times recently and he’s pretty quick to respond (just keep in mind he’s in Hawaii - a few time zones away!)

Evil_Druid likes this.
  13. I recently picked up the remains of what I imagine is an early 80s , (possibly Pre Stagemaster?) Alum Kramer- Missing 2 tuners, nut & top fret shot, upper frets rutted, and the upper fingerboard has a bit of wear- lol- The body does not have the cutaways on the bottom, as the stagemasters/Alembics, etc have- Seems to be an OG Dimarzio P/J style pickup set, pots date to 80 ? - Trying to decide exactly how to resurrect it- pics on a later day- Thanks for the "Forum/Club" for these old monsters-

oZZma and cataract like this.
  14. 17. Smokeandroar (Kramer DMZ5001)

oZZma and cataract like this.
  15. Appalachia Mark

Appalachia Mark Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    RGI neck came in today! Easy to install - I did though need to slightly enlarge the neck pocket holes to compensate for the larger screws but that was pretty straight forward. I still need to adjust and intonate the bridge a tad bit but nothing beyond a simple setup. The neck is killer, very well made and constructed. For reference, the body is an old Mexican Fender P bass I got off eBay for dirt cheap. Had it refinished by MJT in my favorite color, a deep Charcoal Frost metallic.

Highly recommend RGI for anyone sitting on the fence for one, well worth the wait.

EDADA64E-F7C6-4851-B6C9-F2EC3D483797.jpeg

16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Killer build- loving the tort! :bassist:

oZZma and Appalachia Mark like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021