1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aluminum Neck Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oZZma, Sep 22, 2018.

1. SVTII

SVTII

Apr 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    What's the difference to that grey RB?

2. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    My Hartke XL4, Proto #05

I owned #40 when these first came out and found it didn't take much for me to nick and damage the original pickguard, so I contacted Pickguardian and they made a replacement.

XL-4.JPG

3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    It’s just a limited edition enclosure. The insides are the same as the v2.
    I made a thread for it in the Effects forum.

SVTII likes this.
  4. SVTII

SVTII

Apr 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I also own the V2, and actually the Nunez ABC aswell, cheers mate ;-)

cataract likes this.
  5. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    on it's way to me! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

122321835_838053900272120_5044866069727997822_o.jpg 122529295_1662582623923942_5620855736005960402_n.jpg 122165779_838053903605453_7044620020174427713_o.jpg 122543243_838053896938787_2784372932422409567_o.jpg 122561112_838053893605454_8515032519099340681_o.jpg

rhythmwiz, JIO, Bob_Ross and 10 others like this.
  6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
  7. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    merci, i don't have proper recording gear but maybe i can work something out, when it's here.

cataract likes this.
  8. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    tenor.gif

Sorry... really nice looking bass!

droneboy likes this.
  9. cdwthunderfoot

cdwthunderfoot

Nov 29, 2015
    Illinois
    Giving an update on the wrong tuners on my bass situation, I was trying to keep things private while contacting EGC to work towards a resolution but I'm stuck now that I have sent several unanswered emails. I was assured that the wholes drilled into the headstock would fit the Gotoh's I was supposed to get, So I ordered some and went to do the tuning machine swap. I took one of the tuners off to check how everything fit and discovered a bunch of things I'm not too happy about. Not only are the holes for the tuning peg too large to correctly fit the gotoh's I was supposed to get, they drilled extra holes into the both headstock and the mismatched, full sized Schaller tuners to get them to fit. Even if I were to get the Gotoh's to properly fit, the washer for the schallers left a ring inprint on the headstock. Finally I didn't really notice it before but now that I've had to get a closer look, the tuners are crooked, probably because of the extra hole drilled in to mount everything. here's a closer picture of the front and back of the headstock. the tuners are just plain too big, and as a result not quite aligned as they should be.

IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Dave Neal and Evil_Druid like this.
  10. wongahcheng

wongahcheng

Oct 17, 2012
    Sorry to hear that, man. Not the first time I saw problem with EGC. Makes me want to reconsider getting their neck :( Looking into RGI, TTT, and Alef necks now...

Evil_Druid likes this.
  11. Appalachia Mark

Appalachia Mark Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    That’s disappointing :(

Was this a custom order? Have you received any reply as of yet? They seem to be pretty active on IG, maybe send a message there too?

They had a black anodized bass neck on Reverb a little while back that I was very, very close to pulling the trigger on but after looking more closely at the pictures it didn’t really look to the quality I was expecting. The neck had an odd shape cut on the bass side on the bottom half of the neck and top of the neck seemed to vary in its finish. It was all these little things that turned me off from buying it. I’m relatively new to the aluminum neck world, but I’m unsure as to their current consensus with them in the bass world ,apart from their social media.

I have a RGI bass neck coming in hopefully within a month or two. Very excited to finish up my current bass project with it. Alef necks seem super cool too, wish there was video reviews/demos with them. Interested to see what people think of them. Hoping now that Obscura MFG will eventually make bass necks.

Evil_Druid and cataract like this.
  12. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
  13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    That's quite the "Skyline" you've got at your disposal.

What's the bass in the middle, it doesn't look like a standard Kramer model.

14. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I had an issue with the first neck I ordered from EGC but they replaced it free of charge, and the new neck is much better. It’s not a perfect finish, there’s some scratches from overpolishing in a couple areas & not all the machining lines have been taken out 100% but I really like the feel of the neck and the playability. I’m not trying to advocate, but EGC surprised me w/ their customer service

RGI has a really interesting neck profile, it’s basically flat across the back of the neck like an extreme D profile kinda. I saw the back of one of their necks in a YouTube video and it made me think twice about the neck shape :/ I don’t know about TTT’s neck shape but Alef and EGC are intended to be more traditional feeling IIRC. My EGC feels like a a P bass in width but more like a Jazz bass in thickness

cataract likes this.
  15. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Have you seen the developing nations guitars? I’m listing after a bass from them :drool:

cataract likes this.
  16. Lindoom

Lindoom

Nov 3, 2005
    it's one I made with a neck from DMZ 5000 and a body blank I got off ebay about 15 years ago. the pickups/electronics that go in it are from an Alembic Spoiler bass that were not in it at the time of the photo as I rotate them with another bass depending on witch one I feel like playin. it was an 1985 Gibson I kinda turned it into a copy of Entwistle's Alembic but it still sounds like a muddy Gibson bass I guess the wood it's made of just dose not want to be a bass. but I like to play it from time to time. but those pickups really sing with the Aluminum neck nice piano string sounds. maybe I'll put the Aluminum neck on the Explorer IMG_0406.jpg

Bleecker, jetsaber and cataract like this.
  17. cdwthunderfoot

cdwthunderfoot

Nov 29, 2015
    Illinois
    It was a custom order, yes. It's currently back at EGC to have a new neck made for it. When I made my previous post here I had just finished sending a "blast" to every email address I have, their website contact form and their Instagram. I woke up to a message from Kevin, sent him some additional information, snapped some more pictures, and I was sent a prepaid shipping label to have the bass corrected. I have no doubt that they will make it right, but there's room for improvement in terms of communication.

18. Juice Box

Juice Box Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Honolulu/Seattle
    Just took delivery of my new EGC Series 2 bass. As you can tell, I ordered it with a single pickup in the "P Bass" sweet spot. I was kind of skeptical of how I would like the setup as the bass has no truss rod, but this thing rips!

Super cool sounding bass...I haven't played anything like it before.

I ordered this thing 3 years ago and I JUST got it today. I have acquired my "dream" bass since then so still on the fence about keeping this. It just looks so damn cool. DSCF0846.jpeg DSCF0849.jpeg DSCF0852.jpeg

19. Appalachia Mark

Appalachia Mark Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Very cool! I love the simplicity of the look. I don’t think I could ever wait 3 years for a bass. I have an aluminum neck coming, currently at about 5 months now and probably another month or so to go, but that wait hasn’t bothered me. Funny enough I’ve purchased a wish-list bass of mine in that time period. Not sure how many other bass-related purchases I would of made in 3 years lol.

cataract and Juice Box like this.
  20. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That bass is awesome, but man, three years is a long time to wait. Any reason it took so long? I can’t imagine it needed to take anywhere near that amount of time, you’re a much more patient person than me!

I’ve considered ordering an EGC before, but their customer service and lack of timeliness is enough to give me pause about dropping that much money. I’ve also heard they often push people’s orders back in favor of more famous musicians, which kinda rubs me the wrong way. Seems like they either need to hire another couple machinists, or stop taking custom orders until they can clear out the backlog.

Juice Box and arbitrary like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021