Always On!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lee Edward, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Pi_Husky

Pi_Husky

Apr 18, 2022
    Califorina
    My compressor is absolutely always on. I find that not only does mine compress, but it beefs up and brings out the bass in a way that makes it super punchy! ( I use a Taurus TUX Wojtek Pilichowski ) But besides my comp, if im not playing with an amp, or playing with one that is not exactly to my taste I will keep my preamp pedal on and connect through the FX loop ( Markbass MarkVintagePre )

Zbysek likes this.
  2. Lately I've been playing ampless, just DI to the PA, so I have an SVT simulation always on (Zoom B3) for a little compression and grit.

and I'm playing 5 string more so I was experimenting with a slight octave up always on, for a slight 8 sting flavor, or a 10 string in this case?

Zbysek likes this.
  3. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Compression, HPF/LPF, drive

Zbysek likes this.
  4. JoeDoe

JoeDoe Drummist turning bassist. Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Florence, AL
    Always on: Effectrode LA-1A with Southampton Fifth Gear v2 close behind.

5. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    My setup is stupid simple: passive bass, tuner, Xotic RC always on, JDI to FOH. No muss no fuss. For certain gigs I'll swap in an Xotic BB for the RC, again always on.

Al Kraft, Zbysek and arepa_funk like this.
  6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    When I had a gigging board the compressor was always on, and the last stage of the board was a SAPBDDI and one of the three presets was always on.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Always on… Limiter to tame slap peaks but not compress. I could turn it off for non-slap songs but I just leave it on. Parametric EQ to shape the tone a bit.

Zbysek likes this.
  8. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Diamond bass comp at the beginning, always on, just doesn’t sound right without it
    Love that compressor!

Al Kraft and Zbysek like this.
  9. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic Designer: Yorkville Sound
    I don't use a compressor as an 'effect per say, it's part of my tone shaping... Always on Compressor + Always on Tone Stack pre (either SV Pre or Silver Deluxe) + Always on Messenger Preamp (HPF/LPF), I switch between the SV Pre and Silver Deluxe depending on the genre or style, the Terraformer gets kicked in when I needs a bit mo'grit'n'bite. Board's good for live or recording.

IMG_2450 2.jpg

220_Hz, Zbysek and JeffTCS like this.
  10. RustfeatherBass

RustfeatherBass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Haverhill, MA
    Compressor, lpf, hpf

Zbysek likes this.
  11. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Broughton Monocomp and Secret Preamp always. If I’m playing through a solid state amp, either a Barefoot Queen Bee or a Spiral Electric Fx Yellow Spiral Drive to give a little character. Into my V4BH I don’t need it. If I’m feeling real spicy I might use a Rat in a Filter Fx Loop as the always on dirt, into tube or SS.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    220_Hz and Zbysek like this.
  12. IMG_7096.jpg
    Keeley Compressor Pro, Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus, Wampler Ethereal Delay & Reverb, Peterson StroboStomp HD, all on, all the time.

Love the tone, with my Fender MIJ fretless Jazz Special, through a Gallien-Krueger Legacy 800, into CX410 & CX210 cabs.

13. kickysam49

kickysam49 World Heavyweight Champion Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2022
    MA
    Just the compressor (Analogman Juicer) and my Pete Cornish Line Driver, which isn’t so much an effect as a tool to compensate for long cable runs.

Zbysek likes this.
  14. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    :roflmao:
    You bathe with shoes on? To each their own, I guess.:roflmao::roflmao:

GregT likes this.
  15. MXR compressor lightly, Broughton HPF and just a touch of overdrive from the SansAmp Bass Driver.

Zbysek likes this.
  16. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Nothing is always on of 10 or so pedals on my main board, because "Nothing on" is a good and usable option.

But a compressor is on more often than not - which one varies, altho' the last jam was the MXR with the fancy lights, or I might swap in an Ampeg Opto, a Meek, a Pigtronix, a Toadworks ...

17. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    I always keep my Cali76 Compressor on and running through my Shift-Line Olympic; everything else is sprinkle to taste

JoeDoe and Zbysek like this.
  18. Jesuguru

Jesuguru Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    DC area (for now)
    Big board: Nightowl Edison (just awesome), Broughton Messenger (do-it-all clean pre)
    Small board: Fdeck HPF, SLOIII (tube pre)

Zbysek likes this.
  19. red_rhino

red_rhino Currently on Double Secret Probation Gold Supporting Member

Well from your statement, it didn’t seem obvious to you.

The obvious answer here is to run more dry signal thru it. ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    AlvarHanso, Derek Williams and Zbysek like this.
  20. corvette_br

corvette_br

Jun 17, 2022
    For me, it's the Empress Compressor, Empress ParaEq, Way Huge Pork Loin (with different amounts of dirt dialed in) and the Eden Glowplug.

Zbysek likes this.