1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I crazy not to like Ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by humbleleon991, Oct 12, 2009.

1. humbleleon991

humbleleon991

Oct 12, 2009
    I've tried every ampeg I can get my hands on and I just cant seem to get a good sound out of any of them... If you have an ampeg, why do you like it?

2. Because it's the best bass amp ever. And all I've had is great results with it. And TONE TONE TONE.

3. BooHead

BooHead

Oct 12, 2009
    I don't like Ampeg either....I use GK and love them. They are far superior to Ampeg. try them

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    To each his own. I've never really liked any ampeg solid-state product, and even the SVT-CL I had was only passable, decent sound but not perfect. When I got my V4 I really understood why they were such a big brand. When I got my B-15 it only served to reinforce that feeling.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    As I read this, in the first page of threads there are four about Ampeg: Yours, one about a broken input jack, the Portaflex owner's club, and another. Every other thread is about non-Ampeg.

Obviously that's just an informal and utterly unscientific poll.

6. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I love my 8x10 but none of their heads really appeal to me besides the 70's tube ones.

7. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I like some of the sounds I've heard out of tube Ampeg stuff, but I'm settled on Ashdown and I don't care if I ever play through anything else. Sounds like Ampeg is having alot of problems with their newer stuff anyway.

8. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    If Ampeg ain't giving you the sound you want, then you need to find what works for you
    as a player. It's not a sin, or a crime, or a sign of mental illness, to say that you can't find the
    sound you're looking for with Ampeg. I happen to like a lot of Ampeg amp gear in general, but I
    also like what other amps from other companies can do too. There are also some amps popular with
    other bass players that I can't hang with because they simply don't fit me as a musician.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I agree.
    So you don't like FENDER,
    So you don't like AMPEG,
    So you don't like KRAMER,
    WHATEVER.
    That's okay.
    You don't need to like what other people "say is good" to be Good. Period. :)

10. Joe Black

Joe Black

Jun 17, 2006
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Basson
    New Ampeg? You're not crazy.

Old Ampeg? You might be crazy.

11. Check out Mesa Bass Amps.. Especially the Mesa Bass 400+ (although it's discontinued and it may be hard to track down one to try out)

12. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    There's nothing wrong with NOT liking Ampeg. I don't care for their stuff.

13. I haven't played that many ampegs but what I've played left me less than impressed. Not a fan... of the newer stuff anyway.

14. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I used to really dislike Ampeg, but all I had tried were SVT pros, and HLF, and other 2x10, 1x15, and 4x10's cabs. Really not my thing.

Then I tried the all tube SVT-CL, and the fridge. My opinion soon changed. I also love the V4BH. I purchased a SVP-CL preamp for my rackmount kit and could not be happyer. Still hate lots of other stuff, but some of their gear is quite impressive.

Now, as for reliability of the new, past few years stuff, all I'm getting are absolute horror stories.

15. Haven't like Ampeg ever since the MTI buy out myself. Liked my old SVT and kept my V4-B around for two recaps. Don't own any now.

16. brian nec

brian nec

Apr 26, 2009
    Ampeg SVT II (early 90s) best bass amp in history. its a FACT

17. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    No

18. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I haven't liked any of the Ampegs I've tried, either. So you're not alone.

19. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Ampeg tube is the standard. Ampeg SS leaves much to be desired.

I can fart louder than a 3 Pro.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    its possible that those that don't care for Ampegs just haven't played thru the right one. they've offered alot of models that i don't particularly care for, but far as new Ampegs go, if you played thru an SVT-VR thru an 810AV, it might change your mind. My SVT-VR sounds just like my '69 SVT and i could never complain about its power and tone. And my '71 V4B is no slouch either.

and while I like my GK 1001RBII too, to say that GK's 'are far superior' is a silly 'blanket' statement. to me, my SVT's sound better and are more responsive.