Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Oct 24, 2003.

1. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi all,

I'm trying to get a checklist of stuff I need to start recording at home.

This is what I want to do:

Live Bass (Me)
    Midi from computer soundcard for accompliment

BTW, I have a 1Ghz computer with 384 megs of ram and a SB 64 PCI card.

My Bass has Active EMG pickups and the BTC circuit wired for 18 volt.

So this is what I think I need.

Audiophilie 2496 Card

Direct Box for Bass and Mic (if needbe)
    Appropriate cable from Direct Box to Analog RCA plugs on Audiophilie

Recording software (Cakewalk or Cubebase; Need to do more research, would also like ability to record to CD)

RCA cables for analog out from Audiophilie to stereo for monitoring.

I think that's it.

I only have a question on the Audiophilie and MIDI. I plan to write all my MIDI stuff on the computer and not a keyboard. Will this soundcard play MIDI back to record along with audio?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks,
    JBvb

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sounds good man, I have a soundblaster digital 5.1 card coming. I know there are better available, but for the price, and the fact it has the live drive, which gives you capability to use inputs on the front of your computer, using a CDrom slot.

Another reason I picked it, was because of the optical in/out's, which will be great for dumping audio onto my harddrive via mini disc.

Best of luck!

3. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks Tim for the response.

Hope you like your card and all works out for you.

JBvb

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Good choices Jazz, you can master to 16bit/44.1 kHz with any audio sequencer and then burn to CD with any CD burn program.

7,000 posts, I need a life :oops: :D

5. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Great!

Thanks very much! I feel pretty good about it, now just need to have the money to do it.

At least I know what I'm getting, so that'll make it easier.

Take care and thanks again,
    JB

6. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi all,

I found this old post and thought it would be wise to ask for some more info.

For my bass, my Trace Elliot combo has a line out (1/4) and I can't find my manual for more info on it.

The correct way to hook this up to an Audiophile 2496 card would be to purchase a Mono 1/4 to RCA cable, correct?

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've tried connecting from the line out on the combo to my sound card (Turtle Beach) and I did not notice a difference between that and running directly from my bass into the card. I think I hooked up to the line in on the card. Could something be wrong?

If I happen to reuse a 1/4 instrument cable, could an 1/4 female to RCA adapter work well. My guess is that I want as few components in the signal path, so the single cable with correct ends would be preferred.

If I want to hook up a mic, I then really need to have a DI box and would hook the box using a XLR or 1/4 to RCA cable, correct?

I'm just making sure I understand this right if I'm moved to get some recording stuff.

Thanks very much,
    JB