1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I too old to get started in this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski_rush, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Bass1969

Bass1969

Dec 29, 2018
    -------------------
    Adding years to one's life in not aging. Adding years to your life is a description of "winning".
    Follow your heart. Try some basses and find 'the one'. Face to face lessons for a while will get you in a comfort zone. I'm 68 and still noodle playing along with CDs and using headphones for self-amazement. At 43 learning and playing bass will serve you for many, many years to come. Keep winning, my friend, keep winning.

2. Captainras

Captainras

Jan 1, 2018
    I started at 51. I play at church now and love it. I don’t think you are ever too old to start.

3. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I think if you feel up to playing then you should do it. I started bass at 43 in 1996 and love it. I played the drums from age 14 and it was hard on my shoulder and lower back so switched to bass. Not to mention it's good for your brain and thats a fact. Go for it!!

4. phaty

phaty

Apr 20, 2012
    Started at 40 because my brother needed a bass player. My 11yr old son on drums. Had a blast! still going strong at 62. Hit bass method really hard in the beginning. Been in several gigging bands about four years into it. Enjoy the ride...

Bobo likes this.
  5. Jari vanlaere

Jari vanlaere

Feb 4, 2019
    Belgium
    I'd doubt you'd get any comments not to go for it, why would we imply not to go for one of our greatest joy's in life.
    Age makes no difference unless you happen to have artitis in your fingers or something then it's maybe not the healthiest choice you can make

And I'm afraid I wont realy break the mold on this one either.

I would caution however (as i do with all my students) on getting started half-arsed.

Get decent gear, a bass can be oh so nice, if it sounds or feels like crap the intrest in getting started is gone within weeks.

Get something reliable and maybe secondhand. Yamaha, ibanez, and squier are often the bigger brands that have good starter basses at reasonable prices.

Ibanez SG 300 is a good starter, couple it with something like a fender rumble 3 - 60w or a roland cube 60. And thats a basic but good sounding cheap-ish rig right there

Spend a day in a musicstore just getting a feel for everything, you dont even have to plug them in, make sure a bass feels good in your hands.. the neckshape, the overall weight, and so on...

And once you get started again, have the patience to actually practice, and find ways to keep the practice fun... learn parts of songs that are simple but are good for learning timing and rhythm, later scales, learn a basic blues pattern, ...

For example if you are just starting out try playing the verses of psychokiller (talking heads) along with the song. Good rhythmical excercise. And... fun!

6. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    I STARTED ON CELLO AT 45 - IT WAS VERY HARD BUT VERY REWARDING!
    GO FOR IT
    I completely agree and congrats on the Stick assault! I started on Cello at 45 and it was very hard and even More rewarding! You can't loose if, as bholder says "it's how you want to spend the time you have left"- this is a practical statment and worthy of humour.

7. You are not too old of course. My vote is for an Ibanez TMB100. They are $199.00 new but usually you can find a coupon online for Guitar Center and get 10 or 15% off. They also come in multiple colors, maple or Jatoba necks etc. They are the best "cheap" basses on the market IMO. Then use a drum app for drum beats to play along with. Then practice your butt off and have fun.

ShortScaleFelix and Bobo like this.
  8. Stratomato

Stratomato

Jun 26, 2019
    San Diego
    I'm almost 55 and still feel like a kid. (I also have an 8 year old daughter, so that helps.) So 43 is still quite young. Obviously you have to go to it. BTW I think Yamaha makes some really nice budget basses. I also have a GSR200 and for the price it's pretty good.

9. Manxman

Manxman

Dec 9, 2018
    Hi. Never too late to start. I started learning bass a year ago at 67. Where do you live ? Here in the UK, we have a great initiative called The Rock Project. It started with the aim of teaching kids to sing or rock instruments and getting them to play rock. Now they've started Rock Project Encore for adults and I joined my local one. Each week we spend an hour with singers, guitars, keyboards, drums and basses in different rooms learning our bit of a song then we get together in turn to form into a band and play it. Its a different song every two weeks. At the end of each term we get together with other RPE groups from the county and play 6 songs each in a concert.

Its great fun, my wife sings and through RPE we've also met and linked up with other local musicians so we get together and jam or play open mic sessions in local pubs. I'm now having proper lessons on theory as well.

So if you are in the UK, search the internet for Rock Project Encore and join a local one. It will help give you the discipline to keep going. Maybe there are similar initiatives in other countries, if not maybe someone could start one !!!

10. Michael ONeill

Michael ONeill Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Olds, Alberta
    Too old at 43! Ha Ha, you must be joking! I'm 62 and still struggling along. Picked up the Bass a year ago (actually, have four of them now), I'll never be a rock star but this is my enjoyment and my form of stress relief!
    If you feel a need to groove, go for it! I have found Scotts Bass lessons and Aries Bass Blog/lessons really helpful!

11. Pierre Boucher

Pierre Boucher

Apr 28, 2017
    Montreal
    2½ years ago, I started Double Bass private lessons at... 67. My bass teacher told me I made great progress. Now, I'm in a band of 4. So, age is of no importance. Motivation and hard work are.

amper, robassable and Bobo like this.
  12. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    You are not too old. No one is ever too old for music.

But, don't short-change yourself. As a middle-aged adult, you should not feel bad about buying a high-quality instrument. In fact, I recommend beginners start on a used, professional quality, popular model bass.

You'll learn faster, you'll have pride in your instrument, and even if you decide not to stick with it, it will hold its value, and you can sell it for probably the same price you paid for it.

I started on bass guitar in my early 20s, but I was already in a gigging band, first on keys, then on rhythm guitar. My first bass was Fender's most expensive model, purchased new, a 1992 Jazz Bass Plus V Ash, which remained my main bass until 2012.

Bobo likes this.
  13. Basstyro

Basstyro

Feb 20, 2018
    I’ll bet I win the I’m old too contest :). I turned 80 in January this tear and bought a bass guitar in March. I work at it often because it’s fun and I’m making some progress. Good luck and don’t worry about age.
    JamesF

Manxman and Bobo like this.
  14. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

I’m still playing at 69 years old. I’d say you have time to learn.

15. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    When I was starting out in double bass and getting frustrated, I almost threw in the towel. My friend saw Jackie Bayard play with Major Holly on bass in NYC. He asked Major if he had any advice for me. Major Holly said, “Tell him to keep playing.” So, anytime I’ve felt any doubt about my playing, I just repeat the mantra, “just keep playing.”

16. boxtop

boxtop

Feb 24, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

Bobo likes this.
  17. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    You be rockin’ it, Basstyro!!!

18. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    I am 56 years old. Played guitar for a while but never got that great. It was good enough for me at home but kids could run circles around me. I am switching to bass to learn more about setting the groove of a song. I may never be in a good band, but I love the challenge of trying.

Bobo likes this.
  19. boxtop

boxtop

Feb 24, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Make that PLAYING gigs ever since. I'm 81.

Bobo likes this.
  20. BobbyHix

BobbyHix

Jul 6, 2019
    I am 63 and just started back playing music a couple of years ago. Mainly a novice piano and guitar player, I picked up bass because some guys needed a bass player, they had a bass and I wanted to play something.
    I am now having the time of my life. It is never to late.

Bobo likes this.