Amazon price increase

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blue4, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    In June Amazon Prime goes from $99 from $119. For me, I use Amazon quite a bit and $20 a year isn't really that big a deal. Heck the money I save on home air filters and the 5% cash back on the card I pay off every month more than pays for that. I do use the music app and the prime video as well. But you know they probably could have waited another year to raise the rate, since they had a good financial year.

One thing I find funny about this is how Wal-Mart has gone from the destroyer of worlds to white knight savior for some people. My friend from my hometown even told me that he'll shop online at Walmart instead now since Amazon will kill small business. I don't know how it's slipped his mind that Walmart put all the small guys in our town out of business in the late '80s, then moved 25 miles down the road leaving us with nothing but a McDonald's. This put both of our mothers out of a job, not once but twice since they had to work at Walmart when the jeweler closed down lol. I understand he doesn't want to pay another $20 but just come out and say that. Let's not rewrite history here. To me it's more of a old bad guy vs new bad guy type of a thing. Wouldn't you shop at small online businesses, something on the order of our favorite string store bassstringsonline, instead of just going to Walmart if you were truly outraged about something?

Anyway some are predicting that 20% will cancel the service, but Wall Street doesn't seem to agree. I think it'll be far less then that, maybe 5%.

How does TBOT feel about the new rate? Will you stay or will you go? Do you think Wall Street has it right, or has Amazon made a mistake?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Still worth every cent for me. "Free" two day shipping and prime video are both worth $120/year for me. I don't know how high I'd let it go before I cancel, but, right now it's still a no-brainer for me.

Grumry, jerry, hondo4life and 3 others like this.
  3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    I'm staying. Even with the increase, it's a good value for my wife and I. All of our parents and siblings (and their kids) live a number of states away, so we send a lot of packages around birthdays and holidays (we usually get to spend Christmas with one set of relatives, but we still have to send stuff to the other set).

In Amazon's defense, shipping costs have definitely gone up (anyone who's sold gear lately knows about that!). And they argue that Prime comes with more benefits now, though I'm not sure I take full advantage of that.

At the same time, we still try to support our favorite local businesses.

Funky Ghost, MJ5150 and blue4 like this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Small derail:

Count your blessings - EVERYTHING over here went up by about 20% recently, after a *certain event* not discussable further on these boards.

On the plus side, my gear’s resale value went up too, i guess...

JRA and blue4 like this.
  5. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I suspect they’re being proactive about an inevitable increase in USPS shipping rates.

I’m ambivalent about it. Would rather pay $100 than $120, but I’m still in.

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I think this describes how I feel about it exactly. I agree it's probably a reaction to political pressure on the USPS.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    For the record, Amazon also helps a lot of small businesses remain competitive by allowing them to sell via the site. And for any business able to meet Amazon's stringent Prime criteria, you can almost guarantee market dominance by having your product be one of the first few listings.

Rumbledore, Will_White, pcake and 6 others like this.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Predictable political derail is predictable. If the OT mods want to reopen, that’s fine. But because of the CEOs high political profile, this topic is politically charged and will not serve as an excuse to take pot shots at one side or the other.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    We'll reopen this, with the warning that further political statements will result in penalties.

paste, blue4, MJ5150 and 4 others like this.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    First, thank you @Pacman. I was looking forward to this discussion.

Were you invited to join Prime Wardrobe? We got our invitation a few weeks ago.
    This feature my wife and I are going to use, well at least my wife will. You pick out some clothes, at least three items from clothes shoes and accessories, then they ship them to you at no charge (they have your credit card on file obviously, so it's not like you're just getting free clothes). You have seven days to try them on and wear the items. Within those seven days, return to the Amazon website to 'checkout' and pay for the items you want. For the items you don't, put them back in the box, slap on the prepaid return label included with the original shipment, and drop off at a UPS location.

-Mike

11. viribus

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I suspect the price increase for Prime will just motivate me to buy MORE stuff from Amazon so I make sure I get my money’s worth on “free” shipping. :D :bawl:

elgecko, MJ5150 and GregC like this.
  12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Prime? No, thanks, I find the standard shipping times that result in no shipping charges adequate. I'm more upset that they opened a warehouse in my state and collect sales tax because of that.

13. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    Hmmm, I didn't. Sounds intriguing. I have a hard time finding things that fit correctly, so the return feature is great.

14. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I haven't heard of that yet. I guess they just auto charge you if you don't get back to them.

15. viribus

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Prime Wardrobe is intriguing to me because I truly hate shopping for clothing in general and especially in brick & mortar stores.

DirtDog, MJ5150 and Stewie26 like this.
  16. I do not like cloth shopping either and have buying most of my cloths, at least the casual wear ones, from Amazon. Plus there is a much larger selection than B&M stores. I have no problem withe Amazon Prime increasing their price. I get my money back many times over each year by being a member.

Rumbledore, OldDog52 and MJ5150 like this.
  17. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    everything old is new again

18. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I'm more perturbed by the fact that they keep changing their terms on their cloud drive. First, it was unlimited storage for a fee. Then, they split purchased and uploaded music, meaning that any newly uploaded music could no longer be played in the music player, only stored in the cloud drive. Then, unlimited storage ended and now for a fee it's in 1 TB increments. Photo storage is still unlimited because they hope to monetize your photos with Amazon Photos print purchases. The latest notification stated that unless you opt in, all uploaded music will be deleted from the music app. We used to call this business model bait & switch. Nowadays, it's all in the fine print, I'm sure.

19. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Color me in the "still worth it but I'm p.o'ed" category. (hopefully I don't get knocked points for saying that :roflmao: )

I get 2 day delivery stuff every month, use prime tv and prime music.

20. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm staying. Same day shipping still boggles my mind considering I remember mailing out checks to buy things mail order. Also, between Prime Video, Hulu, and Netflix I'm still saving loads of cash compared to DirecTV. I just have to remember that when something has a silly low price, it's best to stockpile since that price will invariably jump up significantly.

Funky Ghost and MJ5150 like this.