1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMP HEAD racks, bags, cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clubdude, Mar 25, 2009.

1. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

I'm looking for a 2-space rack case or rack bag. (I could use a 3-space.) I've had my Peavey rack bag so long, I hadn't shopped for one lately. Can you say sticker shock? I can't believe some of them cost as much as a decent used head.

Does anyone know of a decent, reasonably-priced rack, rack case, or rack bag you would recommend?

It won't be abused, since we don't play but a couple times a month, and I keep the head with me. So, it's never in a truck or trailer.

Thanks!
    CD

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I cannot talk about the quality since I do not own one but these guys have decent prices and lots of nice cases.

http://www.hybridcases.com/

Click on "Amp Racks - Effects Racks - Shock Racks" and be aware that there are multiple pages in each section. (select at the bottom)

4. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Thanks guys!

I had seen some of the Guitar Audio on Ebay, but for some reason I hadn't seen that model. duh

I got my speaker cases from NYCase, and it's fine for the money. I know they make amp head cases, too, but they cost just as much as a 4x10 speaker case.... ???

I need to save everywhere I can, since I just jumped on that LH1000, unexpectedly.

I know the case protects the head better, but my old rack bag sure comes in handy with the pouches to carry speaker cables and A/C cable, etc.

Do you guys like the cases a lot better than the bags? Like I said, earlier, only I handle it, and it never goes into the trailer.

Thanks again,
    CD

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I recently got a gator soft rack for my Ashdown - it's solid and has a pocket for cords... so far, I'm pretty happy with it:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGRB

I paid $59 on Ebay for mine new from Geartree.com - you could ping them to see if they have any more.

6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I got a 10-space one of these.

It feels really cheap, but when you look at it and put stuff in it, it is as solid as a rock.:bassist:

7. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

Bardley and Metallicafan,

Which model(s) did you get from hybridcases?

They have a lot of models. I'm just looking for a 2-space, btw.
    They Tuffbox with the shoulder strap for $79 is intriguing, but I can't tell much about it from the pic.

The other one where it says any size $90 looks to be too short at 12", but otherwise looks fine.

I don't think I would pay a lot more for them than I would a Gator bag, though. There are pluses and minuses to each.

I keep looking for one on auction or CL, in the meantime.
    Thanks,
    CD

8. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Mine is called a Roadie. I bought it used, so it may be discountinued.:meh:

9. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
  10. Nicka

Nicka

Jan 10, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Endorsing Artist: Peavey Electronics
    OSP cases have proven to be of awesome quality for the price. Sigler's music sells them and has an ebay site as well. Might check them out.

11. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I higly recommend Pearson Cases.
    Get whatever size/depth/cover configuration you need.

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Put an ad on your local craigslist.. I got my bag with a drawer for about $60.. took a few months of patience.

13. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

The one in Louisville looks like a good deal. I wrote him about shipping. Thanks for the link.

I would really prefer a 2-space rack, just for size purposes. But, when you find a good deal, sometimes you have to take less than your #1 choice.

Seems to be a lot of cases in the $90-100 range. I checked the OSP, and they are close to SKB and Gator. Hopefully, I can find one in the $50 range that isn't too beat up. I can always keep my rack bag, but I'd prefer to sell my old head with the bag.

Thanks so much to you all.
    CD

14. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

15. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I actually love the mbt for that exact reason. when you open the back there's a bit of a lip and I have a good 2inches or so of space, perfect for storing all my speaker, instrument, and AC cables. I use my case for a Fender bassman 1200pro head, which is as deep as a rackmount head will get, so you'll definitely have space for cables no matter what unit you're putting in. Other great aspects about this case are its light weight and the handles on the sides. It's just an all around great deal!

16. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

"mbt" ?

All of your suggestions look great. I would be hard to pick one over the other. I bookmarked all those site you all linked, and will check them out in more detail. I'm sure, in the final analysis, I'll get the one that I find the best deal on.

17. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  18. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
  19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Check out the EWI rack cases at www.audiopile.net. I've owned a few different ones now, and they are great quality racks.

20. clubdude

clubdude The Ten Man

All look like good choices, guys. Thanks for all your suggestions. I could live with any of those you have linked. Now, I just have to find the best deal.

Do you guys prefer the ATA (suitcase) style, or the molded (SKB) style?
    Or, do you prefer a rack bag?

Hartke LH1000 dimensions: 19"w x 14.5"d x 3.25"h (fyi)

Thanks again!
    CD