1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Upgrade help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vorak, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Hey guys. I've got that itch for a new bass head to replace my current B2R. I just don't feel that it pushes my 410HLF as well as I'd like. I like my tone, but I don't feel I can get loud enough. I play pretty hard and it seems to distort and bottom out.

So I'm looking for something a little more powerful. I've been lurking around the forums and doing a bunch of searching and I've kind of decided on either the SVT3 Pro or the SVT4 Pro. The 3 Pro would be nice, since it'll save me a couple hundred dollars (around $500 used) but the 4 Pro is easily more powerful and will probably provide a better tone. They are going for around $800 used. What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth the $300? Will I notice a huge difference between the two? Will I be happier with the 4 Pro in the long run?

I'm also open to other amps. Ampeg is really all I've known and I'm not really on the up and up with any other brands in that price range (new or used).

So I want something that will sound good on my 410HLF but won't break my bank. I've got $500 cash right now but would have to wait a bit to save up the extra $300, so the 3 Pro is kind of tempting right now because of that.

On the other hand, I've been reading that to get the maximum volume out of the SVT 3 Pro, you should run the gain hot all the time. Would this translate to the B2R as well? Right now I'm at about 1/2 gain and 1/4 volume. Would I get better output with the gain full and the volume down a bit lower?

Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has) but I have done quite a bit of forum searching.

Thanks!

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest checking out G.K. 700 and 1001 heads.
    I've heard a G.K. 700 through a 4 ohm Ampeg 410HLF cab like yours....it sounded great!
    My second suggestion would be to try a MarkBass LM II head with your cab. I've not heard this set-up but I'm sure it'd be killer also.