1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 410 w/ 810 sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap5string, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Which line of Ampeg 410 should I pair with my '73 SVT that will come closest to the 810 sound? I really dig the power of the wall of sound but want something more portable. (2) 410's is what I'm after. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Ampeg bass heads don't like to go less than 4 ohms.

But you could run 2 4x10 cabs if the are both 8 ohms.

3. I would think that the 410e would be closest in sound, but it is an 8 Ohm cab...

4. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    410HLF 85 lbs
    410HE 91 lbs
    PN 410HLF 64 lbs

I don't know about the sound but out of those three the only one that seems more portable to me than an 8X10 is the PN 410HLF and even then only slightly. The B series is lighter but also a lower line so I doubt they will get close soundwise. 8X10 may be the more portable.

5. Yes, I plan on daisy-chaining two of them to have 810's - just in a more portable configuration.

Do all of the Ampeg 410's have a horn? I don't believe the 810's do.

6. This might be the easiest for packing purposes, but I find an 810 much easier to move that two 410's.

Also if you are thinking of getting two 410's I would encourage you to find something that you can use one cab by itself in case you ever do not need the second one.

7. niki z

niki z Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Loading in 2 4X10s is worse than 1 8X10...IMO :)

8. Bean639

Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    From what I know of Ampeg (no expert) 4 210's would be close because of the way an 810 is baffled. Maybe someone else can deny or confirm this. This is not thinking about ohms either.

9. I know what you're saying - the 810 is actually 4 pairs of speakers. Each set completely closed off from the others. So the 410 cabs are not baffled this way also?

10. Bean639

Bean639

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    I don't know. I was wondering the same as I was typing the previous post. Someone will chime in.

11. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    A '73 SVT is designed to go to 2 ohms (as is the V4, V4B) with a second cab. The full SVT rig at the time was a head and 2 8x10s. Just make sure that the ext speaker jack is functioning properly. Do NOT run the head with an 8 ohm load.

12. No problem there - I'm currently running (2) 8ohm GK SBX410's daisy chained together (4ohms combined). The sound is OK but I find it isn'y very hard to get these speakers to "fart-out". I'm really interested in something with the VR looking grill cloth to match my SVT.

13. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    2 Heritage Ampeg 4x10's. They sound great and have that look that you are after.

14. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Use 2 SVT 410HE Cabs on thier side, stacked for the identical size of a SVT810. Sealed cabs are the key. not sure if the SVT410HE is baffeled.

15. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    This is what you want:
    http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_82&products_id=448

16. Thinking alike here. I think possibly 2 or 4 210av cabs is gonna be a close match.
    The Fliptops options are cool. Wish they had Aus distribution!
    I'm wondering, would 2 pf210's come close?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd do two 410he's if you don't want to do a full 810. They use the same speakers and have the same basic tuning and sound.

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    there it is.

19. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    Im having the same problem ! I have the want & money for an 810,Great deals are all around me on many 810s .But I use my wifes car a 2009 VW Jetta( All my transpo is on my old trusty Harley ) But am thinking Im going to have to go the 2-410s just so I can have 810s I UNDERSTAND your problem No truck or van no 810s????

20. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Guys, really? This has been discussed so many times. There should be a filter on here where, you have to log in a certain amount of time researching a subject before you post a question like this. Im not trying to be a jerk but, this is right up there with "What does an SVT sound like", "are tubes better than solid-state", "will this pedal make my 1x10 combo sound like a tube stack", etc. ............Yes, a pair of 410e cabs will do it. Yes, they are harder to move than an 8x10. No, a berg nv610 cab doesn't really sound like and ampeg 810e (just sort of). No, a sansamp bass driver does not sound anything like a 70's svt and neither does an ampeg svt-cl. Yes, I've had too much coffee for this time of day.