1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA300 210/115 or Ampeg BA600 210/115???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by naoc2k, May 11, 2010.

1. naoc2k

naoc2k

May 10, 2010
    Hello everyone.... I am currently new to the forum but not new to the bass world.... And I have some question of the gear mentioned above...

Currently my main rig is a Ampeg SVT-CL with one Ampeg 4x10 classic and 1x15 classic... The tone that comes out of this is precious. I never been happier with anything else than this rig.... I have been in a original band since 2006, we have our own studio, warehouse for practice etc. We gig once a week and we are on the process of making a second album.. On january I joined a cover band and we are gigging twice a week.

My main concern is that my rig is HEAVY as a building.... And currently I am moving from my original band warehouse to the other studio where the cover band practices then to all the gigs, etc..... and like I said is pretty heavy....

So I decided to get a combo... Something lightweight were I can keep at one of the studio, and my main rig at the other one... I was thinking on the ampeg ba300 or ba600.. I will like something with enought power to play in small gig or used with a pa but to keep the tone that ampeg is famous for.....

I been researching and looking that these models on 2008 had really poor quality control but they were great on tonee even thought quality suck...

My question is that is 2010 and common I am more than sure that ampeg solve this problems... I was wondering if anyone have this combos from late 2009 or thi year and if can you give me a good review that way I can make my choice. Also is the 300 a huge different on power compare to the 600.. and what will be better to get a 210 configuration or a 115....

Any help will be much appreciated and sorry for making this long... I am sure lot of people will never get to this last line lol... Best Regards....

2. xPiNH3ADx

xPiNH3ADx

May 11, 2010
    I owned a ba300 115 for a while and the question is basically do you want a built in tuner/ mute(115) or a little more volume(210). this was in 09'. i dont know the features offered on the new models. both sound excellent overall

denekawa likes this.
  3. naoc2k

naoc2k

May 10, 2010
    Not interested on the tuner actually.... I have effect pedal board with a tuner... I guess more volume will be the choice

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My opinion, the 300/210 would most likely be enough for you. I'd tend to think that the 600, although it's got twice the power, is still limited by either the 210's, or the 1 15. Volume is all about speakers, and since you cannot plug an ext cab into those combo's, I'd hafta assume the 300 watt version would actually be the better choice. I doubt very much that double the wattage, through the SAME speakers, will get any louder.

5. naoc2k

naoc2k

May 10, 2010
    What about quality??? Anyone has the ba300 210 and don't have quality issues???

6. sevansounds

sevansounds

Nov 29, 2010
    Bump....curious about this amp/combo as well...quality?

98% for studio use. Full time engineer...new bass player.

Tone is everything.

7. I've had a BA300 115 for a year now. I bought it new, I'm guessing its a 2009 release. I play it at band rehearsals as well as gigs at medium size clubs/bars (mic'ed) with no problem. I play a MIJ 62 RI P bass and am mostly on preamp style no.2 but I also like no. 4 for heavier stuff (John Entwistle type stuff).

I've had no issues with quality so far. I think it'd make an excellent amp for a studio too. I cannot compare it to 2x10 version cos I live in Kathmandu, Nepal. Go try one out, I quite like mine.

8. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I owned a BA300/210 for over a year. I mainly play pop and light rock. The quality of the amp was very good – never had an issue with it. It produced very good tone (warm and full) at low sound levels – you can tell there’s a tube pre-amp in there.

However, I play in a band with an insanely loud drummer and the 2x10 speakers just could not keep up -- the low end distorts easily. And as RickenBoogie stated above “since you cannot plug an external cab into those combos…”, I had to dump it for a modular rig (separate head and cabinet).

Best of luck.

9. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    I keep a BA600 210 at a practice studio and love the amp for practicing. I have never gigged with it but the quality is great and so is the tone. Only drawback I see is not being able to add a second cab.

10. Grey Sarcasm

Grey Sarcasm

Apr 25, 2012
    I own an Ampeg BA-300 in the 115 configuration. I am completely satisfied with it. The power is more than enough to suit my needs and can keep up with a 30 watt tube guitar stack. It weighs some where around 70 lbs. But with two people it's an easy lift. I think the 15" speaker is a better choice than the two 10" speakers, but it's all about preference. I definitely think that the Ampeg BA-300 115 was a great purchase!

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The fact that ANY of these combo's are limited to the enclosed spkrs is the big drawback. No ext spkr jack means a very limited rig, and the 600 watt version is an even bigger waste, as neither the 115 nor the 210 can actually handle all that power.