1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg experts please read!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csm672, Mar 19, 2009.

1. csm672

csm672

Nov 2, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi everyone. I have played on a few Ampeg amps and REALLY like the sounds I can get. I just can't afford any that I've played right now (all in the $1-2000 range). Is there any other Ampeg combos that go for less money that have "That" sound? I've played with an SVT, B-15 and SB-12 (or maybe B-12, I can't recall) and really loved the smaller amps. I know Ampeg has made alot of amps over the years, so what would be a good one to look for used that won't run me $1400. Combo or head either one, I have no preference, just want the tone! Thanks in advance, Casey

2. Buy used! Tons of great deals in the TB classifieds.

3. csm672

csm672

Nov 2, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah, I was planning on used. But I don't know what to look for model number wise. I don't have the dough to spend for a b-15 or b-12 right now, and I really need to upgrade from the practice amp. So what else should I look for?

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i don't have any experience with it, but the B100R has gotten some props around here. it's a solid state remake of the B-15.
    there is also a B200R which is a 200 watt version of the B100R.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Look for used V4B's, V4BH's, (heads) and the like, if you want tubes. The B100R and B200R are great amps, but don't measure up to the all-tube stuff. They do have attatched speakers, (115), but not the same tone. A V4B should cost well under a grand.

6. csm672

csm672

Nov 2, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks, I'll check on th V4b's and the B100's. I take it that the V4b's are no longer made? Are they from the '70's and '80's? Any other models I should check out? Thanks, Casey

7. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    70's v-4b's are great. 100 tube watts that crush. picked mine up for $500

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    +1..

I'll add that If you run across a nice 70's V4 or a late-80's/early 90's SVT-II (non pro) give them a really good look too.