1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF500 head let me down this weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by japerritt, Aug 13, 2012.

1. japerritt

japerritt

Jan 23, 2012
    I purchased it back in January of this year. Had a weekend of gigs and in the middle Saturday nights gig I lost all sound and fault light came on. I was not driving it hard, it had plenty of breathing room, and the place venue was fairly cool.. Talk about frustration:mad:.. Luckly we had a sub, so I was able to finish the gig going thru the main PA.

I actually purchased the 3 year pro coverage when i bought the amp, i never buy the warranties, but I gig alot so I thought its possible that i could drop it, spill something on it, etc.. Anyways, I call the procoverage warranty folks who tell me, "its still covered by manufacture warranty and i had to work with Ampeg". I call Ampeg (Loud technologies) and learn the nearest service center is 1 hour from me. In the meantime I guess I'm just screwed, without a bass amp.. I did a lot of reading on the pf500 thread here about others having issues with their amp over heating which triggered the fault light. Unfortunately, mine never recovered.

Until it died, I absolutely LOVED the PF500. I've never had gear leave me stranded, but there is a first time for everything.

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    sorry to hear about your PF500 failing on you on gig.

I posted a similar story in the PF350/500 thread.

Had used my PF500/115He rig on at least 20 gigs and at least that many rehearsals. Never push it, the music I play does not call for that at all. Played Sat night and the PF500 started popping in and out in the last 3 songs of the night and just died all together for the last song.

I just can't have my gear failing like that and am going to revert to my Mesa Walkabout for the time being. I may try the WA driving the PF115HE cab, which I like the sound of.

good luck on resolving your gear troubles.